Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

I'm premium usually, with gaps when I have credit card issues, like above, I do it more for support than for extras (although the arcade was something i enjoyed, too much tho, burnt a few screens too long cos of that distraction, happy its gone).
    i do wonder if something like the 'disorder-tour-cancelled-fucking-stucked-oakland' thread would have happened with a payment requirement... probably rather not.
    but then again, I hate spam and handbag robots too.
    so glad it isn't my decision.

Premium Member

Comments

Having a nominal fee works for forums with very high traffic, like the Something Awful forums. I'm not sure gigposters has the traffic to support the fully paid model.

The only real solution to spam is a combination of automated filtering systems (rate limiting, IP checking, content comparison) plus aggressive moderation.
    My Gallery of Posters: http://www.popfuel.com/gallery

Comments

Even Something Awful... as much as I like it I don't participate because I don't want ANOTHER place dinging my bank account for my casual use.

Clay - we did a GP benefit in the past. It doesn't help the immediate problem but we could certainly do a sale to raise funds for the upgrade and your time to fix the site!

Love this place. Hate the spam. But I think a monetary gate will drive away all the lurkers - and I think that's the vast majority of the traffic.

Premium Member

Comments

Is there a way to set limitations on what new users can post?

I'm not a web guy in the slightest....but what if you could only post pics and submit posters w/a minimum post count(50-100)or only if premium membership

It might discourage some newcomers but if you were to pin a thread to the front explaining it might help...just thinking a loud

Premium Member

Comments

When will you do something about the avatar thieves?

Now when I go down to the minimarket to get my newspaper, the people say, "Wait, aren't you Josh Rickun?"

I tell them no. Then I walk into the pub next door. Bartender says, "YouJustRick?" I piss in the beer and walk out, still thirsty.

As I walk back home, some asshole leans out of a car and says, "Hey hey Kamiblue, jazz sucks and so do you!"

By the time I'm back home, I'm super depressed. So I go log onto GP, and what do I see?

Little red BMWs everywhere.

Worse than spam.

Now I'm drinking at 7:50 am. Thanks GP.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Didn't the Chicago Printmakers Guild do a mystery tube sale back in the day to benefit GP? Do something that again.
    Since Flatstock is happening next week. Maybe some of the participants can donate prints for the mystery tube sale. So Clay can upgrade.

Comments

i miss the arcade. i'd go premium if that came back.
    if there's another fund raiser let me know. i'd kick in for that.
    FB seems to have done a number on this wonderful community. i've pretty much retired from the whole poster collecting thing. i still love hanging out and seeing what everyone is doing though.
    i have nothing useful to add or any ideas.

Comments

Now when I go down to the minimarket to get my newspaper, the people say, "Wait, aren't you Josh Rickun?"

I tell them no. Then I walk into the pub next door. Bartender says, "YouJustRick?" I piss in the beer and walk out, still thirsty.

As I walk back home, some asshole leans out of a car and says, "Hey hey Kamiblue, jazz sucks and so do you!"

By the time I'm back home, I'm super depressed. So I go log onto GP, and what do I see?

Worse than spam.

I only jacked your avatar to point out that Rickun isn't premium.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post

Worse than spam.

pretty lame that someone would steal your avatar!

Premium Member

Comments

I'm premium as of this year, after having had an account for a few years and lurking for a few more before that. Honestly, if it was a requirement to pay before ever posting I would probably still be lurking. I went premium not because of any benefits it nets me, but because I appreciate the community and the ability to ask stupid questions, be ridiculed, and then eventually answered. I like the site and I like what it promotes, so I'm happy to chip in. I don't think many people would do that BEFORE becoming a member of said community, though.