Gig Posters

Posters: 156255 | Bands: 135962 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

I am also on a renewing membership so it wouldn't effect me, but I do agree with those saying that folks might stop participating if forced to pay for access to posting posters. How many mods are there currently, do you need to recruit more? I'd volunteer to help if ya need it. I love this place and wouldn't mind helping out to keep it running.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I've been premium myself as long as I can remember so it obviously makes no difference to me.
    But like Tuffy I worry that even a token fee for posting/uploading privileges would prove a barrier for new & casual users, who we need here to keep things rolling. Not because $5 or $10 would be "too much," but simply because the process itself would be a deterrent to them as much as it would be to bots & spammers.

Sorry Clay, I know that isn't very helpful...

Comments

I see a lot of community-based things vetting users these days. That would work I reckon....

Head Honcho

Comments

All good points... Let's keep the discussion going... I would like more people to chime in..
    *PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS - CLICK THE CONTACT LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE*

Head Honcho

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    I can't remember what the registration process is. Does it have "captcha?" Is their an email confirmation process? Is there an easy way to auto-detect if someone is copying and pasting messages in multiple places?
    Sure does. It doesn't work .. it sucks. They still get in.
    *PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS - CLICK THE CONTACT LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE*

Head Honcho

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by B-DROID View Post
    I recently registered to a motorcycle forum that uses vBulletin for their forums and they don't seem to have any spam at all. Not sure if it is because of active admins on the site or their registration process though? Their registration process involved a captcha code and an approval by an admin. The approval period was like, 24-48 hrs... not a long time to wait if its something you're interested in.

So, maybe adding some additional admins to cruise for spam and do membership approval would be helpful?
    I set this site up for "approval by an admin" for the last couple of months. Spam went way down .. but it is a huge pain in the ass.

Head Honcho

Comments

I would like to upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect .. but there are a few factors.

- It costs $359.00 to upgrade (prob have to have a merch sale or something) (come on people! buy my book!)
    - It will destroy the classifieds once again. (but that might be ok because they aren't working very good at the moment)
    - It will take many, many hours of hard work to get the site all customized and working properly again
    - It probably won't help with the spam robot issues
    - It will add lots of new functionality including a nice mobile interface (for the forums at least)
    - I don't have as much time as I used to (any nerdy web-people out there that want to volunteer to help out the site?)

OR

- I could sell the site (who wants to buy it?)
    - Leave it as is, turn registration on and bring on the spammers
    - Figure out something else? Ideas? What do you want the site to be?

Premium Member

Comments

i also think paying to use the forums would be bad, even if it was only a one-time cost of a buck i'm guessing the majority of new people would not do it. and if an original user that now frequents facebook wanted to pop in to make a comment or two they would probably see the nominal fee as a hassle and not come back.

the spam sucks, but how how bad is it? is it like graffiti where if you don't catch it right away and keep on top of it it'll just take over? or do you get hit a couple of times and then it goes a way? i know this doesn't solve the financial side of it, but i say deputize some more people. what gets stopped gets stopped, what doesn't people learn to live with. (i think i could be chicago's next police commissioner)

Premium Member

Comments

and i'm a premium member, but i really do it just to support the site, not for the extras. unless you've got something that you really know people will use i wouldn't spend any money on new premium features.

Comments

Agreed