Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135505 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Head Honcho

Comments

Default Registration / Spam Issues - Please respond!

I have turned off registration for the site temporarily, as I clean up the spam issues.
    ** UPDATE - Registration is enabled again now! **

I also cleaned out a ton of suspicious accounts. My apologies if it affects any real people.

* Question for all current members:

What would you think if I charged for general membership? (Meaning - everyone pays if they want to be a member on this site (to participate in the forums, upload posters etc.. I am thinking everything but anonymously viewing the site). I could still offer premium membership with extra features (I would love to add more premium features, so I am looking for feedback and ideas for that as well).

This would solve the spam issues, maintain funding for the site, and allow myself and our moderators to focus on more important issues / upgrades etc.

Monthly? Yearly? How much is fair? etc..

Please respond with your thoughts on this. Lets get some discussion going and help me figure out what is best for YOU (the community).

Thanks,
    -Clay
    Last edited by Clay; 08-21-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    *PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH SUPPORT REQUESTS - CLICK THE CONTACT LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE*

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I already have my premium membership set to renew automatically, so I'm guessing I wouldn't notice much of a difference?
    Good Ideas thru Bad Living™

Asshole for the People™

Premium Member

Comments

like billy, i do that yearly auto renew thing via paypal, it works easiest for me by far. though big cartel does monthly and its not the end of the world, if it auto renews. or you do x amount monthly and then x amount yearly, and you save a few bucks if you pay for the year.

you could do 100$ a year or 10$ a month. or whatever you need to charge, really.

Premium Member

Comments

I'd be totally into that. A yearly thing similar to what happens now for premium would be ideal. It'd be kinda cool to see a multi-tiered membership, maybe based on what we're using it for? It'd be cool to see a tier involving the classifieds where we could pay some amount to be able to post ads with reckless abandon...some kind of mega-premium membership? I don't know if that would work out well on your end, but I know I'd pay more for that.
    I work at Landland, Mpls Our websiteOn FacebookOn this thing

Premium Member

Comments

at a guess, a lot of people wouldn't want to pay up - I'm on the premium tip, so no bigs to me.
    API Local, Member 025 - Hack For Life!
    http://www.fnharsh.com
    http://fnharshdesign.bigcartel.com/

Comments

I became part of this community and started making posters mostly by accident. I signed up thinking I'd only ever use it to ask the experienced artists here a few questions and then bugger off back to what ever course my life was taking at the time. Almost ten years later, I'm still making posters and am still a member and still learn a lot from the people who I now consider my contemporaries.

Making access paid-only would get rid of spam, yes, but it would also restrict the flow of new blood to the community. Additionally, although naive new comers get a lot of shit when asking stupid questions, they would have no resource for the answers they need and will likely go on to make those mistakes that cause so many problems for the art form.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by michael_0 View Post
    Making access paid-only would get rid of spam, yes, but it would also restrict the flow of new blood to the community.
    that's a good point. i'm all for paying for membership - but i could see new people not seeing why they should pay something just to comment on posters or ask questions, it would have a 'closed community' feel. if people can't try it out for free, it could cut back on new people.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Hmm... I dunno about that. I know spam is a problem but charging to post here seems like it would kill what little conversation is left. I am obviously committed to this site but that seems like an excessive barrier.

I can't remember what the registration process is. Does it have "captcha?" Is their an email confirmation process? Is there an easy way to auto-detect if someone is copying and pasting messages in multiple places?

Comments

I recently registered to a motorcycle forum that uses vBulletin for their forums and they don't seem to have any spam at all. Not sure if it is because of active admins on the site or their registration process though? Their registration process involved a captcha code and an approval by an admin. The approval period was like, 24-48 hrs... not a long time to wait if its something you're interested in.

So, maybe adding some additional admins to cruise for spam and do membership approval would be helpful?

Comments

Also, that forum is tapatalk compatible and A LOT of their users seem to post from it.