Gig Posters

Posters: 154832 | Bands: 134938 | Designers: 11470                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Photocopy / Desaturated Effect? How?

Hey guys, I'm looking for ideas on techniques to achieve the effect in the examples below. Basically, I want to have that washed out, borderline Xerox effect for black and white designs. I have gotten close using copy machines and also pretty good results using Photoshop, but I'm still way off.

If you have ideas, either digital or using hardware (or both), could you share your steps and settings? Not looking to imitate, I just really like the look and would like to incorporate it into my work.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Examples:

Comments

I have to mix screen inks to look like old xeroxs all the time and to match the color requires several colors. So if you want to match in a digital format I would suggest that you convert the original to greyscale, adjust the levels/curves to lighten to darkest values and dirty the lightest values. Then convert it to CMYK and adjust the color away from true black to get the hue right. No big whoop.

I had heard the curves suggestion before. I tried it, but the result kind of sucked....BUT, I like the suggestion of adjusting curves, then going back to CMYK and adjusting the overall color! Cool suggestion! Thanks a lot. I'm going to try this today and play around with it.

Comments

If you don't like curves try levels instead. I typically hit up the level before touching curves.