Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135994 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Bypass band and "sell" posters at cost...

New artists trying to get their work printed - an annoying/popular topic, I know. But figured I would ask anyway as my situation is a little unique from what I've read here.

I recently designed a gigposter for an upcoming Muse show. It was just for fun, and the first time I have designed/separated/trapped for screen printing. I liked the process a lot and I think the poster came out great. You can view it here: http://bit.ly/172pnTp

I would like to print it just to have a personal copy and go through the whole process. But I don't have the resources/know-how, so would need to work with a printer. Its expensive, so my idea was to maybe do a Kickstarter for a small run of 25. But, set the donation price at the exact amount it costs to print the poster, so that I wouldn't make any profit off of it... Is this bad?

Thoughts/ideas? Thanks

Comments

Nice design. Your metallic flake idea isn't going to work really. You'll need to commit to metallic or not on black paper. Yellow ink will turn green as well. You need a lot of good color pigment to make the ink pop on dark papers and that amount of pigment will essentially wipe out little bits of metallic flake. Ok that's my advice on printing.

My advice on getting this made is to take a local class and print it there. Don't set yourself up to a public viewing of your trademark infringement.

Comments

Hi Jake.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam over the years...

Bad idea.

Premium Member

Comments

well, the band could sue you for making money off their name without their permission, and kickstarter would close down your kickstarter for breaking copyright laws. and you would start off your poster career with a reputation for making bootleg prints (that would be competing with prints actually licensed for the show that the band would be receiving a cut of at their merch tables).

so my thought is: this would be a bad idea. but, if you took the type off the poster and just sold it as an artprint, using your money to fund the screenprinting of it, then you could see if it sold well, possibly attracting the attention of people looking to hire a poster artist such as yourself.

but yeah, selling anything (even to just recoup costs) with a bands name on it, without the bands permission, is step one of what not to do in making posters. there are plenty of bands out there looking for work, for posters, you could approach local venues and do posters for them, Manic Music Mondays or things like that, and build up a portfolio from there, eventually getting hired to do posters for bands like Muse. possibly.

but stay far away from doing bootleg posters. you have to be hired by the band or even the venue, someone other than yourself. otherwise you could get in a lot of trouble.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Nice design. Your metallic flake idea isn't going to work really. My advice on getting this made is to take a local class and print it there. Don't set yourself up to a public viewing of your trademark infringement.
    Thanks! A local class is a great idea, would be cool to learn to print anyway. I have never worked with this medium before, but I'm diggin the process so far.

Comments

@kolfacekilla & @robschwagger

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I figured it was a bad idea, probably why I asked the question in the first place - so that people could tell me how wrong I was haha.

This was just something I was doing for fun and was eager to print it to see what it looked like. I like the idea of taking a class and printing it there just for myself. I duno that I want to get in the business of making/selling posters, but this project has been really fun and given me even more respect for the work you all do. Cheers!

Comments

Pretty sure there are some awesome Austin screenshops where you can learn the craft.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by kolfacekilla View Post
    well, the band could sue you for making money off their name without their permission, and kickstarter would close down your kickstarter for breaking copyright laws. and you would start off your poster career with a reputation for making bootleg prints (that would be competing with prints actually licensed for the show that the band would be receiving a cut of at their merch tables).

so my thought is: this would be a bad idea. but, if you took the type off the poster and just sold it as an artprint, using your money to fund the screenprinting of it, then you could see if it sold well, possibly attracting the attention of people looking to hire a poster artist such as yourself.

but yeah, selling anything (even to just recoup costs) with a bands name on it, without the bands permission, is step one of what not to do in making posters. there are plenty of bands out there looking for work, for posters, you could approach local venues and do posters for them, Manic Music Mondays or things like that, and build up a portfolio from there, eventually getting hired to do posters for bands like Muse. possibly.

but stay far away from doing bootleg posters. you have to be hired by the band or even the venue, someone other than yourself. otherwise you could get in a lot of trouble.
    This ^^.

Coronado Studio offers courses, and they've taught the best printers in Austin. Great people too.

Yes, do some art prints so you can show what you have to offer, then just get a gig or two. It's not that hard, depending on which show you want. Some of the locals might be willing to share contact info for a show if they have it. I'd just recommend starting and staying legit. You'll have the support of your peers and cooperation from promoters and bands.
    Good Ideas thru Bad Living™

Asshole for the People™

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by perkins View Post
    This ^^.

Coronado Studio offers courses, and they've taught the best printers in Austin. Great people too.

Yes, do some art prints so you can show what you have to offer, then just get a gig or two. It's not that hard, depending on which show you want. Some of the locals might be willing to share contact info for a show if they have it. I'd just recommend starting and staying legit. You'll have the support of your peers and cooperation from promoters and bands.
    Thanks! Ya I found Coronado and also Austin Screen Printing Co-op. I'll check out Coronado. Appreciate all the feedback