Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Sounds like he was playing to the "I'm a local, support the locals, fuck the big bad out of town Man, man" current of poster artist inferiority/resentment.
    That's exactly the kind of artist he is - riding high on a soap box of delusion. This is the same person that once told me he doesn't believe in teaching people how to screen print (specifically because I teach people how to screen print all the time) - that everyone should have to learn on their own the way he had to. I have an incredible amount of respect for anyone who's taught themselves how to do anything... but having a fucked up sense of entitlement to work in a totally unethical way because of that undermines any hard work he went through to learn how to print in the first place.

That being said... can we all take a moment to appreciate THE official poster set for the Melvins/Mudhoney show? Way to go Bobby.

Comments

I have seen that guy a few times in the past couple of years... he always seemed to piss me off.. also Bobby's posters rule!

Premium Member

Comments

Did Melvins/Mark Arm do "Set it on fire"????

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Bobby's posters got nothing on this.

Not sure about the blurred edges looks like a filter on someone smartphone.

Premium Member

Comments

but he's garnered a reputation as Milwaukee's foremost poster artist...

Von Munz picks Von Munz's 4 best rock posters | Music | The A.V. Club Milwaukee

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Paloma is going to run him out of town.

Premium Member

Comments

I won't - but that picture of him you sent might... It just got forwarded on to the Executive Director at the Pabst + the guy that books for Turner.
    Paloma Chavez :: Graphic Designer
    Flickr :: Tumblr :: AIM pchavez923

Premium Member

Comments

2 legit 2 contact the band for permission
    My Gallery of Posters: http://www.popfuel.com/gallery

Comments

This thread was a pretty interesting read. If this guy has been doing posters a long time, I see his point in being pissy about local artists not getting a good, big, poster gig. The poster game used to be based around local poster makers, it is not that way anymore when it comes to big shows. Things change, and you have to move on. This guy would not be out on the street selling them if no one is buying them, it is tough to try to pay rent if making posters is your main gig. Here in LA, promoters don't pay anything for artists to produce posters, at the most, they might pay for paper, and demand a chunk of the run, that they never use to promote. The promoters hardly ever put you in touch with the bands. Out here you do see designers and screen printers going the bootleg route, because you can make more money than getting the commission. The best way is always to contact the bands, they and their management often consider promoter commissioned posters as "Bootlegs" merchandise companies and some record labels see it the same way. I have even done a few posters through the bands the we did sell on the street to offset the percentage a big LA venue was demanding off the merchandise sales. Out here, the promoters do nothing to stop any street bootleggers and the cops could care less. If you want to do bootleg posters and sell them out at shows, come to LA, our weather is great for it and we don't have much of a local poster scene to anger. You will hurt your rep a bit, and some roadies might kick your butt! My advice to anyone about bootlegging is that you might make a quick buck, but if you are doing something shady, you are opening the door to other shady things. If you do not blow up big as a poster artist, don't expect to make a living for 15 years doing gig posters. You might turn into a bitter bootlegger.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by John Miner View Post
    If this guy has been doing posters a long time, I see his point in being pissy about local artists not getting a good, big, poster gig.
    and I call bullshit on it.

Cheaters, thieves and narcissists are always Righteous Crusaders.