Gig Posters

Posters: 155690 | Bands: 135553 | Designers: 11510                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments
    Items for Sale

Default Process Thread Thing For A Bike Poster Thing

Hey dudes, I promised a process thread on Instagram for this thing for Artcrank Boston I was working on a while ago and now that I'm finally printing it, here it is! Picture quality varies, some are yoinked from Instagram and some are from my actually pretty nice camera, depending upon whether I had said camera with me or not.

So okay! Super long first post, just warning you. I work entirely analog, just penning it straight onto Duralar, usually with a very minimal sketch. For this particular poster I thought I'd try my hand at lotsa overlays, so the part of the drawing on paper is actually way more elaborate because ????? overlays. But many a Crosshair process thread was consulted, and I started:

The blue paint there is just to get my head into a "hey you're not printing on kraft paper you're printing on this color paper" space. I just compared it to the actual paper I'm printing on which was not on hand at the time and it's an almost exact match, booyah. You can see notes on what I'm going to do for colors and what's overlay for what, just kinda like thinking out loud, except on paper.

Deciding on where keyline stuff, also more notes! Including the beginnings of a code - it says gray and green, but I realized doing green w/blue green and dull green (printing on blue paper and some gray with overlays) is boring, so I changed to to red orange and gray (which will have a final mix of red orange, blue, and shades of violet) but never wrote that down.

So here's where stuff gets really different than my usual. I'm not used to thinking in terms of overlays, and as someone who thinks with their hands I needed to work through it in a visual way. So basically I picked different colored pens to correspond with different stages of the overlay and drew it like that. I didn't fill out the entire thing this way, just enough until I kinda switched brain spaces and could visualize it without it.

This is where I stopped and moved onto films.

Drawing the key. I always start there for some reason.

So I like to mess around with different pens to get different sorts of texture, depending upon how they dry. These were really, really wet and dried kinda like this. I thought that'd get me a cool texture but it exposed like it was a normal solid line. Weird.

So I didn't really take pictures of me working on films for the rest of the poster because I forgot and I don't feel like digging out the films from their pile to take pictures of them now.

I expose with the sun. Here's me awkwardly holding the screen with the key to face where the sun was at the time with only one hand, which was way more difficult than it should be. Sun exposure is waaaaay easier and faster than with a bulb and I honestly don't think I'll ever go back. It was super cloudy today and my longest exposure time was fifteen seconds. Fifteen seconds! If it's even remotely sunny I literally walk outside with it at whatever angle the sun is at and then walk straight back inside.

All four dryin' on the porch. Here ends the Instagram portion of this post. The three I haven't used yet to print are still out there, I should probably bring them inside.

Color 1 flooded. To the left of my table is space reserved for a drying rack if I could only find a goddamn drying rack. And yeah, my hinge clamps are c-clamped to the table. I haven't gotten around to borrowing a power drill to screw them into the table because this actually works just as well. Some posters above and computer playing music to the right.

Color 1. Also my shoe, Keds originally meant for swing dancing (jazz junkies 4 lyfe) but they were super comfortable for moving about a lot while printing and then I got some ink on them while wearing down the soles properly so they became my printing pair and I bought another pair for dancing.

On the floor. I can fit 24 before needing to double up and the ink's always dry by then. It's actually not that bad for a run this size (40) but I'm definitely not taking on anything bigger until I can get my hands on a drying rack.

And that's all for now! I might print the next color tonight after dinner, we'll see. Last time I printed a lot I had suuuuper bad joint pain (shoulders and hips) so I'm going to try not to overdo it. They'll definitely be done before Tuesday though, because that's when I have to drop them off in the Fens.

Comments
    Items for Sale

Color 2.

Color 3. The red here is waaaaay brighter than in person, and you can't see the (admittedly subtle) variance as well.

Some detail on the leaves to give you an idea. I think my initial plan was a much more obvious variance with the overlays, but this is how it turned out and honestly I think it works better in terms of my work in general (I tend towards the subtle anyway).

I washout in my shower. This poster is placed opposite of that. This is why:

Yeah.

Last color is the key. That'll be going down later this afternoon, I have to do some errands before leaving for Chicago tomorrow that are daytime-only. I'm definitely not doing black or gray, but haven't decided exactly what yet.

Premium Member

Comments

I have been washing out in my shower for about 7 years. Definitely not getting my deposit back when we finally move out of our apartment.

Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Comments
    Items for Sale

Lucky for me my shower's super old and doesn't look all that nice to begin with, so a little more ink ain't a problem. Honest to God that was one of the reasons I picked the place

Also! All dones with some purple durple.

Details:

These'll be up at Fourth Wall Gallery in Boston on Saturday, and the fine folks at Artcrank have kindly given me permission to bring up some APs to Flatstock Chicago so I'll have a super limited amount there as well.

Premium Member

Comments

Cool stuff!
    Sun exposures are definitely premium and my preferred way to go too, except when it rains ...at 3am...

Comments
    Items for Sale

SUN EXPOSURE AfTER THE SUN HAS SET? Please teach me your secrets!

Premium Member

Comments

Ah... that's when the "except" comes-in, and the 5KW metal-halide rolls-out, and the studio gets that funny ozony type of weird air in it...

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by weaponsofmassdesign View Post
    I have been washing out in my shower for about 7 years. Definitely not getting my deposit back when we finally move out of our apartment.

Comments
    Items for Sale

i got the unsold copies from the show and they're up on my webstore if anybody wanted one: A Firebird Surrounded | Arboretum | Online Store Powered by Storenvy also there's a mystery tube sale somewhere in there too if any of y'all are into that.