Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135325 | Designers: 11495                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default 23x31" screens: squeegee/coater size & portrait vs landscape

Our studio is upgrading from 20x24" to 23x31" screens, so we're in the market for new squeegees and scoop coaters... I think. The vac table (~23x31") currently has clamps on the long side, so the way I see it, we have two options:

Keep the clamps on the long side, and get wider squeegees (maybe 24").
    Pros: shorter print stroke, shorter flood
    Cons: expensive squeegees; awkward to use wide squeegees

Move the clamps to the short side, and get shorter squeegees (15-16").
    Pros: cheaper squeegees
    Cons: longer print stroke, longer flood; awkward to use smaller screens (long reach)

I feel like it's not an accident that most automatics stroke in the long direction; just not sure if the same principles would apply to manual printing. I don't mind paying extra for equipment if it makes the job easier.

Also relevant: which orientation is easier for coating screens? Right now, we stand 'em up tall.

Thoughts?

Comments

I print with the clamps on the short side. I feel like most people here print with the clamps on the long side though. I find it easier to pull a shorter squeegee for a longer distance....a long squeegee has more surface area in contact with the screen which means it's harder to pull and has more drag....but it seems to work for a lot of people here. So yeah, I print mostly with 23x31 and 25x36 screens with the clamps on the short side. Works for me. I occasionally print with 30x40 and 36x36 screens and those I have printed in both orientations on the same table. Printing with anything smaller than 23x31 on my table would be pretty awkward because of the reach though.

I coat my screens stood up tall too.

Premium Member

Comments

either way.

Generally, it is physically easier to print with a smaller squeegee. but then, if you want to print a blend the other way, you would need to turn it. I let the art determine the direction. Get two squeegees when you can afford it.

Coater - do it the long way with a shorter coater, easier to control, cheaper coater.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Yep, the few times I have printed with my 30x40 clamped on the long side was to print a blend from one color on the top of the sheet to another color or clear at the bottom of the sheet.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Myself, I print portrait. The vac table is at 25* angle so I can get good pressure at the back of the screen. But I still have ink marks on my belly from time to time.

Comments

It's all relative. As far as I'm concerned these are still tiny sizes and marginal differences. I would keep your options open so you can do both. Personally I would set up printing landscape so I have the option of printing blends and 2up with a split squeegee. Plus I feel like reg is easier to hold and fine tune in landscape.
    Last edited by squeegeethree; 07-12-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Comments

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to track down some squeegees with replaceable blades -- been using glued-in ones until now.

Great points on split fountains as well as 2up printing, which I'm particularly excited about because it means we get to chop our prices (almost) in half.