Gig Posters

Posters: 155569 | Bands: 135483 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Why can't you just print it on clear mylar or vinyl (similar to 3m 3650-114 I believe) and stick it to the door? For that matter you could probably even use a static cling vinyl or low tack clear and have it be removable.

Comments

I assume because it doesn't look as good.

Premium Member

Comments

Not all of us are as skilled at printing 55 line halftone screens on a vertical surface with enamel inks as you Mr Squee3....I would much rather print in a controlled environment on a clear material on a vac table - and make a few spares...than drag all the shit out to a store and see that one of the employees has touched the ink and blurred it, this after 3 attempts and 3 cleanings to keep the ink from blurring or drying in. Oh, and the cost to come out and do it again after the window gets broken...

Clear vinyl is almost invisible, and the cost to make a few spares is next to nothing. Installation is 10 minutes max, 1 person, and the image can be much bigger - the door frame will restrict the frame size you can use, and the image will be that much smaller.

On the other hand.....nothing like a challenging print to expand your abilities. Be like Luther!
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    I assume because it doesn't look as good.
    Actually it looks just fine if you wet app it. Assuming they have cad cutting capabilities, they can trim it virtually to the edge (say 1/16" or so) and the Client will never know.

It's cheaper, faster, easier and superior in virtually every way.

Comments

I'm a little late to the conversation, but I found some videos a while back by a Dutch artist named Stefan Hoffman who does a lot of this. He's got a decent video demo you can find here. He prints most everything by himself using these brackets he mounted big suction cups to. It seems to work pretty well for him. Might be worth checking out. It's been on my list of things to try for awhile now. I've only printed upright on walls using the method that squeegeethree described. Here's Hoffman's website with lots of other similar projects: Stefan Hoffmann - projects

Post up when you actually do whatever you end up doing.

Comments

Thanks everybody! Turns out a friend of mine that owns a sign shop here in town has a digital printer that can print white. So I referred my friend who this job is for over to him to see if that will work for him. If not then we'll give the screen printing onto clear vinyl a shot.

Twelfthmonkey....that is an awesome link! Thanks for that. Even if we don't end up screen printing this project I may bug some friends of mine that own businesses with large windows to let me mess around with printing some artwork like that. Very cool.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Ampco View Post
    Actually it looks just fine if you wet app it. Assuming they have cad cutting capabilities, they can trim it virtually to the edge (say 1/16" or so) and the Client will never know.

It's cheaper, faster, easier and superior in virtually every way.
    I would know in an instant. And I'm pretty sure I know why people like screenprint direct, it's because it looks better, so I guess a sticker isn't superior in every way. There's a reason that museums screen directly on the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    On the other hand.....nothing like a challenging print to expand your abilities. Be like Luther!
    The reason we are good at doing this and many other things other people can't do is because we are willing to try things. It's fun to figure out a challenging project and pull it off. Printing only flatstock every single gets tedious, why not mix it up. I printed on a dog once, stickers and dogs don't work as well as directly printing on the dog.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    I would know in an instant. And I'm pretty sure I know why people like screenprint direct, it's because it looks better, so I guess a sticker isn't superior in every way. There's a reason that museums screen directly on the walls.

The reason we are good at doing this and many other things other people can't do is because we are willing to try things. It's fun to figure out a challenging project and pull it off. Printing only flatstock every single gets tedious, why not mix it up. I printed on a dog once, stickers and dogs don't work as well as directly printing on the dog.
    This, exactly! Direct screen printing ABSOLUTELY looks better on glass to my eye. Screen printed glass soda bottles look a thousand times better than bottles with screen printed clear vinyl decals, for example. Printing on vinyl is probably a ton easier...if you do a lot of it and can justify buying a large roll of vinyl. But for a one off job that I might never do another one like...investing in a big roll of vinyl doesn't really make sense (I've since found out that my buddy with the sign shop has a bunch of clear vinyl and will sell me a few yards if I want to go the vinyl route, so that makes it a little more practical...but if that wasn't available to me then the direct screen print method still seemed more practical in the long run).

And yeah, trying to do something just for the sake of learning how to do it is, in my opinion, the only way we grow as human beings. I want to learn to do as many things as I possibly can. I might not be great at everything I try...but being not great at something is still better than being nothing. At least I'll have gained the experience and learned a few things that might be applicable down the road.

Comments

Yeah, I have seriously messed up more prints than most people will make in their lifetimes, but I learn most from my mistakes. Granted if I tried to do something over and over with a 0% chance of success I might give up.

Anyway, I swear you can mix up this orange in enamel and hit it one shot and walk away looking like a champ. I probably would adjust the levels of the image a tiny bit to make sure my screen shot and kept the lightest values. You might want to test your screens out on paper before you leave the shop because if you cannot print it right on paper in the comfort of your own shop your not going to do it right on site.

I'm not questioning your knowledge squeegeethree or anyone's for that matter. Just suggesting an extremely viable and cost effective alternative that I stated is better in virtually every way. Yes printing direct may have an advantage or two but that would be the extent of it.

Most clients don't need that type of work done especially once they see the costs associated with it.