Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11480                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Epson 9900 Opaque black Ink mods?

Hi all; I may be getting an Epson 9900 for free- 44" wide and pretty good shape. One of the colors is "not well calibrated" or something, whatever that means- fuckit, it's free for pickup and being held for me.

My question is- I Immediately did a quick google search to see if I could find any products out there that allow you to convert this printer to do all black ink. No luck.

Has anyone on here converted an Epson 9900 to do this, and/or has anyone got a good supply source for this? I know that it's done with a lot of smaller printers, but I imagine it could be done with this printer as well…..

Perhaps I need to locate a bulk ink mod and simply 'add' black ink to each 'tank'?

Anyone wants to throw me a bone I'll print them a film or two from it

I should add, I currently print with a 7880- but I never modded it to be all black. Just left it as is and it makes perfectly fine films that are opaque enough to shoot screens. The wheel ain't broke there. But I just want to be able to print sharper halftones and have the smaller dots be a bit more opaque without overloading the substrate with ink and losing some of the reverses. Halp?

Comments

9900 won't really print any better than your 7880 as far as films go. If you want to do color digital prints then it's a superior machine. Epson doesn't really care about the film output market anymore. IMO each generation after the 9600 has gotten worse for film output. Your best bet is to get a good halftone rip, upgrade (if you aren't using them already) to waterproof film, fool around with the photoblack and matte black options.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    9900 won't really print any better than your 7880 as far as films go.

Except that it prints 44" wide, while my 7880 prints 23.5" wide. And since I now have a svecia capable of 30x40 image area, and an exposure unit capable of screens on the scale required, I'd like to use this printer to output the necessary films; thanks for your advice about the RIP and waterproof film etc- but what RIP software would work with this printer?