Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135207 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Bulbs for coating screens.

I have previously been using red-light bulbs which are designed for exposing photos.

They have recently blown however and i have red that yellow 'Bug Free' bulbs are the best to use as red lights stop the wrong wavelength.

I am UK based and obviously these types of bulbs are not in common supply as we don't have a massive problem with bugs.

I have found these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellow-Spira...s=yellow+bulbs

And i was wondering if they would be suitable? There is no UV detail on them at all, so i don't know if they are UV proof or not.

If not, can anyone point me in the direction of a specific brand or make of bulb that i can purchase in the UK and use to coat my screens safely,

Thanks,
    -Alex

Premium Member

Comments

That looks exactly like what I use, and they work just fine.

Comments

You know what. You don't need any special bulbs for the coating. The screens only need to dry in the dark. I coat screens out in the open in the shop and about 3 feet away from a giant skylight. I've never had a single problem not in 15 years of doing it everyday. Now if it takes you 15 minutes to coat a screen you might get some exposure or if you do it directly in a sunbeam coming through a window, but really, emulsion is pretty slow acting all in all. The added bonus to coating under normal lights is that you can see what you are doing and can catch mistakes in the screen coating more easily. Trust me you love it.

Comments

Luther, is that true for single cure and dual cure emulsions?

Comments

We use dual cure but I bet single cure wouldn't be that much different.

Comments

When I first started, the guy who sold me my exposure unit said I had to use the red lights you mentioned (in retrospect, salesmen are usually not the people to get technical advice from). This was essentially like working in pitch black to me, so I switched to the yellow "bug light" and can see fine now (takes a minute or two to reach full brightness), take my time coating screens/mixing emulsion, and coated screens are safe to hold up to the yellow light to make sure emulsion is coated evenly, no pinholes, etc..
    The kind I use is regular bulb shaped, I'm fairly sure it's GE brand, either 40 or 60 watt.. haven't changed the bulb in over a year

Looks like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/GE-97495-Lite-...ref=pd_cp_hi_2
    GE Bug Lite 60-Watt Yellow Outdoor Light Bulb 2-ct. -

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

yeah.. I've been coating ulano under fluorescents for years with no problems. I just avoid direct sunlight

Premium Member

Comments

I have a table lamp with a yellowish shade fitted with a regular old 40W bulb. I pull the shades on the windows and coat without problem. Coating in adequate light is so much easier. I used to think coating screens was the most difficult part of the process when I was doing it in near dark.

Comments

I'm currently using just my mac screen's light, and i've never encountered any problems.

I use Azacol Z1 emulsion, it's not very light sensitive so i guess whatever the light is, as long as it's not powerful i guess i'll be ok.

Thanks.

Comments

I have the yellow bug lights pictured installed in all of the ceiling fixtures in our studio.

It's really dim and we can never tell what colour anything is. I once did a run of yellow t-shirts instead of white by mistake