Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Does anyone use the AWT Micro Registration thing?

Does it really suck, or is it because costs a million dollars?
    I found a couple old post. andymac was gonna have his own design?
    http://www.gigposters.com/forums/scr...ps-before.html
    http://www.gigposters.com/forums/scr...mp-help-2.html
    Last edited by Hellgate Industries; 06-09-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Comments

not a one of you, huh?

Comments

I have them and Love it...Andy Mac never seemed to get his made...i waited as long as I could and then caved on the AWT...I like them!

Premium Member

Comments

I also have it. I have to say that I rarely use the microreg part, but when I do it works great. I also replaced the tightening down bolts with some knobs so it was easier to get super secure. If you do get it, make sure to practice with micro reg part on an un-inked screen, that way you know what you are doing if you have to make adjustments mid print run

Premium Member
    Comments

I got an AWT Screen Clamping Unit w/ micros in November of 2012 and it was a hunk of junk. It was literally came wrapped in shreds of wallpaper and the threaded bits were chipped brass... No good IMO. Folks I know who have the same screen clamping unit from a few years ago have much better quality units... not really sure why. The only answer I got from AWT is that AWT doesn't machine and manufacture those screen clamping units in-house. I ended up just saying screw it and upgrading to a Big Gripper (which was built by AWT) and I am really happy with it, but the price point was painful.

I'd recommend saving your dough and buy something else around the shop that you really need, and just start practicing getting your reg tight as hell by eye. Even though I have a micro reg system, I only use it when I absolutely need to.

Comments

Big gripper huh? that thing does look awesome. Interesting thing Im hearing from this post is while a grand total of three people approve of their micro registation device, two of those people say that they rarely use the micro registration feature. I register my prints by tightening the screen, and then moving the film i used to burn the screen around under it with two putty knives with tape on the ends. when I get it perfect, I turn on the vacuum, and tape down one side of the film. then I slide a fresh paper under that film and register that. I never move the screen inside the loose clamps. this doesnt seem to ever work. when I tighten them, it moves. every time. If the $550 clamp isnt gonna improve on that system, then screw it. and it seems like the vast majority of the community is using a system like that in some way, right?

Get the paper vacuumed down with the art taped to it. Then put your registration tabs down. Then register the screen to that. It should work way better than that putty knife biz. You can then "micro reg" it in place by moving the tabs. (I use Dymo tape and stop sign vinyl for tabs.)

Premium Member

Comments

Yeah, even on our bigger presses with micro register where the table moves, I still find it easier to move the tabs for on the fly register adjustment. You can see the amount you are off, and move the tab the same. Very quick adjustment, which is critical if you dont' want things drying in. A 4 stack of stickers stuck together cut in a square - peel and stick, too easy.
    That movement you talk about is almost always going to happen in systems where the screen is part of the register/hinge system. Until you have a masterframe situation (that grips the frame all round and drops it in exactly the same spot each time) you will get some kind of flex or distortion or play in a print.
    The best you can do with a back clamp or twin clamp system is to put some blocks on either side of the front. but then if you try to adjust register with a clamp system, you need to loosen it all off.

And I got to laugh.....AWT...All Wrecked Threads
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Back when I printed my own stuff I loved mine. Worked like a charm.
    Brg!
    Barricades of hamburgers divide the nation.