Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135505 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Teach me (and everyone) about auto presses? Need some input here...

So I have hand printed forever and need to know the skinny on auto presses. I have an opportunity to explore, but my body is wrecked and I'm going to be hiring employees eventually, so I think an auto press is going to be super beneficial. I'm mostly likely going with a used press...there are a few I've been eyeing up, but again, I know nothing. What should I know when buying one, what brands are reliable, which one is least likely to kill someone in an accident. This sounds just like buying a car actually....

Please educate me.

Premium Member

Comments

Call Tony at CGS. Home | Used Screen Printing Equipment - CGS Sales & ServiceUsed Screen Printing Equipment – CGS Sales & Service

He will be able to help you decide on a press and then sell you one. They do a really good job refurbishing older machines.

Ours is a refurbished 1997 Saturn. Looks good. Runs good. Only complaint is that it does not have a option for resting in the flooded position. You should make sure the press you get has that feature. Most of them do, but double check.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by TripleStampPress View Post
    Call Tony at CGS. Home | Used Screen Printing Equipment - CGS Sales & ServiceUsed Screen Printing Equipment CGS Sales & Service

He will be able to help you decide on a press and then sell you one. They do a really good job refurbishing older machines.

Ours is a refurbished 1997 Saturn. Looks good. Runs good. Only complaint is that it does not have a option for resting in the flooded position. You should make sure the press you get has that feature. Most of them do, but double check.
    Man- I've got a 90's MnR Eclipse and love the hell out of it. Does everything I want. (minor) Drawbacks- you need 3-phase power and an external compressor. But damn is it deeee-luxe. I think the Saturns are pretty much the same thing, but w/ less bells and whistles. Can't go wrong.
    Yes. That is me wearing a Borat thong in my avatar.

My Portfolio site-
    www.mrdoyle.com
    My Retail site
    www.nakatomiinc.com

Comments

How much did you guys pay for your machines...were they new or used...what's the learning curve for operating them if yo've never worked with them before?

Premium Member

Comments

Size is going to make the biggest difference in price. Ours has a max image area of 25X38. You should be able to get a nice refurbished Saturn 2538 for 8-10 thousand. A lot of people have Cameos, and are very happy with them. The Cameo is easier to find for a little less cash.

One important note about size: The Flood Bar and Squeegee Assembly takes up quite a bit of room in your screen. For a 25x38 image, you would need a screen that is somewhere around 40X54OD. And you would need to be able to expose screens that size.

We have a 2538, but our exposure unit maxes out at 31X40 frames. As a result, we can print 18X24, even 19X25, but not much more.

As for "learning curve", I can only speak for the Saturn, but it is pretty quick to pick up. When we first got it, I was really intimidated. You ask a few questions to your sales rep, ask a few questions on gigposters.com, make a few mistakes, and then you get it.

We can print 400-500 sheets an hour, all day long, and still be able to do it again the next day.

Features our press did not come with, but would be nice to have:
    The ability to end cycle in the flooded position
    Pop up Registration
    Squeegee Pressure Regulator

We actually got some notes on how to add a squeegee pressure regulator from Nicolas Wilson (on gigposters). Installed it couple of weeks ago. It is fucking great!