Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135994 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Comments

Default Learning the Hard Way: First Prints- A Process thread

Nice to meet you all. I am Stu, a graphic designer living in Upstate NY. I have been designing posters for local bands/bars for a couple years now. Recently I decided to jump in with both feet and start screen printing some of my work.

The first steps I took were to buy and read Andy Mac's book 'Screen Printing Today: The Basics' which is super helpful. Thanks Andy! Next, I went premium here on gigposters, which also has been extremely helpful, thanks to all who post and share so much of their hard earned knowledge. Then I bought a whole bunch of supplies and again thanks to all you folks it made a lot easier to search that stuff out.

Then the real fun began, I built a 30" x 40" vacuum table, a washout both and screen drying rack. Needless to say, my carpentry skills are pretty shitty and it took a lot longer than I had anticipated , but it all turned out fine and everything works! So all this palaver lets take a look at I how my process went:

1.Made my seps which was challenging but got through it with some forum searches. Using Fixxons 13X19 waterproof flims. Sorry about the rough photos, like my carpentry skills fairly sad.
    [IMG][/IMG]

2. Burned my screens which are 25x36, 230 mesh yellow, I used a space bag with foam compression underneath and exposed with the sun took about 4 minutes on a cold cloudy day. I used Ulano 925WR emulsion and the screens burned and reclaimed great.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

3. First color down. Using speedball ink to learn with this is Orange, which is really on the red side.
    [IMG][/IMG]

4. The Final Print. I am really into collecting records at the moment so this is a little tribute to that. Everything went well, I thought, for my first go around. Obviously had a little trouble with registration but I am pretty sure I know why I struggled. I have always believed to learn to anything you just have to do it, and learn as you go. The hard way.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for following along, look forward to your feedback. If you are interested in checking out my other work you can find here (my website is still a work in progress) High Fidelity Prints
    Last edited by Stu Crandall; 01-09-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Pictures not showing

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

welcome to GP, stu.
    your pix ain't showing!
    some posters | more posters: spiegelsaal | even more: posterkrauts

»You're funny... for a German.« – Crosshair

Premium Member
    Comments

Thanks, electr. I fixed the pictures.

Comments

nicely done...wish my first prints were that well registered!

Premium Member
    Comments

Thanks!

Premium Member

Comments

That looks great! Awesome work, man! I'm curious about the space bag trick, I've never heard of that one. Did you put the screen in the bag with the foam backing and just seal it up, then set it outside (I'm also not terribly up to speed on exposing using the sun).

Premium Member
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    That looks great! Awesome work, man! I'm curious about the space bag trick, I've never heard of that one. Did you put the screen in the bag with the foam backing and just seal it up, then set it outside (I'm also not terribly up to speed on exposing using the sun).
    Thanks and yes that is basically how you do it, the tricky part is calculating your exposure time. It has been super gray and cloudy in these parts lately so it takes quite a bit longer but really only 3 or 4 minutes.

Premium Member
    Comments

Thank You, Francisco!