Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135967 | Designers: 11548                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Thoughts on glass top drawing tables?

My old drawing table bit the dust in a move earlier this year and I'm going to take the base, put a new top on it, and make a printing table out of it. Still leaves me with a need for a drawing table. I've seen some of these glass top tables fairly cheap (like this or this) and my first thought was you could prop up a light back there and have an instant light table for tracing. Just wonder if doing all my drawing on a glass table top would somehow be a disadvantage (maybe it's too smooth and I'd be taping everything down). Only other downside I can see is that I couldn't attach a cabled parallel straightedge to it, but I've never had a huge need for one in the past and I don't see myself needing one extensively in the future. The other drawback I'm finding is most of them have a work surface only 24" deep. It's not too often that I'm drawing something that tall, but not unheard of. Just thought I'd get some perspective from some more seasoned illustrators if I could. Thanks!

Premium Member

Comments

I know there are people that do it, but I've never liked drawing on top of glass. You could always get around this and keep the light table possibility by putting some transparent borco on it.

24" also seems pretty shallow. It's what my desk at work is I think but I have a portable larger drafting table that sits on it. My drawings aren't always that big but all the other drawings, pens, markers, and other junk sitting on my desk have to go somewhere. And keep in mind where your legs go if you put a 24" desk up against a wall (obviously depends on how tall you are)

Premium Member

Comments

And keep in mind you'll be looking at the crap in your drawer with the one table or dude feet with the other.

Premium Member

Comments

Yeah, I do keep coming back to that 24" being kind of shallow and trying to find one that is larger. I kind of toyed with the idea of getting a larger piece of glass cut for my existing table and making a wooden mount for it, in which case I could maybe get frosted glass, but the other thing I don't like about my current one is the lack of drawers, trays, etc. Guess I could always buy/build a lightbox when it becomes necessary, just really liked the idea of killing two birds with one stone. Thanks for your input!

Premium Member

Comments

I draw, ink, work on films, and sometimes paint on my old glass top light table. I love it lots.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W