Gig Posters

Posters: 154224 | Bands: 134488 | Designers: 11430                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default need help figuring out color separating/trapping/choke in photoshop

hey guys, I have a 10 color screen print I need separated. the colors are all on separate layers, but when I colored it I over lapped quite a bit an am now trying to do the trapping so the colors don't show thru under the other ones. is there a way to do it where I can select each color and delete it on the upper darker colors without getting that "flash" white border around the color? or would it be easier to flatten all the colors and figure out a way to just separate it from there? I'm using cs5 by the way. any help would be greatly appreciated...
    -Mark

Premium Member

Comments

Turn anti-aliasing off. There is no reason to have it on when working on seps, ever.

When you make a selection, expand or contract it by your chosen amount to set your traps. Check using layer transparency and fine tune with the pen tool or polygonal lasso.

Comments

oh wow! didn't know you could do that! so how do you "fine tune" with polygonal lasso? is that how you do it all, the choke, trapping, and elimating the flash?

Comments

and say if I have a light brown, with dark brown shaded on a layer above it, do I have to erase where the dark brown is laying on the light brown underneath it, or will it be ok when the ink goes down?

Premium Member

Comments

Say you have a selection and want to add to it by hand:
    Go to additive selection mode and when you double click to close the polygon, it adds to your selection.
    Likewise with subtractive mode.
    Intersect mode is handy too.
    You can apply those selection modes to any means of creating selections; wands etc.
    You can also save selections and recall them later.

You probably don't need to knock out a light brown under a dark brown.
    It's often better not to trap at all if you don't need to. This is why conventional seps are printed light to dark.

Remember to keep that damn anti-aliasing OFF. Likewise feathering. Nothing sucks more than having to recreate a complex selection because you forgot this, or forgot to save it.
    Last edited by crosshair; 05-07-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Comments

not sure I know what you mean by "additive selection mode". I just been using the magic wand and it seems that if I hold down alt and use the arrows to move it in all directions it sort of fills in around the edges, like if I have a blue under a brown...

Premium Member

Comments

You're losing me there...

Selection modes are 4 options at the upper left in the tool settings, when you are using a selection tool.
    Or, when using the tool, Shift gives you additive, Alt subtractive, and shift+alt intersect.