Gig Posters

Posters: 158784 | Bands: 137786 | Designers: 11678                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: test prints?

Premium Member

Comments

Default test prints?

Do you guys usually do a full test print of the poster before running the job? I haven't before as it seemed like it was a pain in the ass to clean out each screen for one print. Then last night I had my first epic overprint fail as I was hitting my last color of a 4 color I found out it all looked liked total shit. Having no time to start over before the gig the whole poster got scraped.

reg marks on the paper tell you when your shits out of whack. What does total shit look like? I once made a poster of a poop to... If you have the time than a test print is nice. Especially if your getting paid for it. Sometime my clients like that and we charge them. Otherwise they are cool with no test. The more you print, the more you learn, the less mistakes you make. Figure out why you made the poop and than try to redo it and make it gold. You will a lot from your mistakes.

Premium Member

Comments

I've never run a full test of a print (all layers) before launching into a run. I've been asked to, but usually by folks who don't really get how screenprinting works, and once it's explained to them, they get why that would be a headache. It sounds like you're mostly bummed about how the colors/overprinting turned out? We avoid that by doing drawdowns on an empty screen of each color before we start, in order, to see how the transparencies work and whether or not we need to tweak anything before we start printing for real.
    I work at Landland, Mpls Our website On Facebook On this thing

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks for the replies...yah reg marks weren't the problem. I'm used to printing apparel and posters are new to me especially with overlaying colors. I was trying to pull off a watercolor wash effect like you (Dan Black) have in that John Butler Poster you did. I'll have to try doing drawdowns on an empty screen next time before I start. Thanks for the advice.