Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135209 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Default R.I.P. Storm Thorgerson

A moment of silence for the master.

Storm Thorgerson 1944-2013

Creator of at least half of the greatest album covers of all time, and a giant of rock art. The giant.
    His work is why I do this. I know I'm not alone.

Storm Thorgerson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

...and beyond! Hipgnosis was responsible for some of the warmest and most impacting imagery of my early childhood. Houses of the Holy and Electric Warrior were two of the first records I ever had in my hands (at 2 or 3 years old) Luv!

Premium Member

Comments

Yep, glad there was a show in November in Chicago, about him. Hopefully, some younger folks can appreciate it as well!
    Peace!

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Only two times in recent memory have I felt starstruck and at a loss for words and mumbled like an idiot. One was meeting Willie Nelson. The other, meeting Storm Thorgerson.

Comments

"Jimmy Page has stated that the album cover was the second version submitted by Hipgnosis. The first, by artist Storm Thorgerson, featured an electric green tennis court with a tennis racquet on it. Furious that Thorgerson was implying their music sounded like a "racket", the band fired him and hired Powell in his place.[6] Thorgerson did, however, go on to produce the album artwork for Led Zeppelin's subsequent albums Presence and In Through the Out Door."

Hehe

Comments

^ The Led Zeppelin "In through the out door" packaging is awesome. The wipe on the outersleeve was a a clue that you could take a damp cloth and wipe it on the inner sleeve to reveal color. My older brother had that record and I remember he discovered it. Record packaging used to be really awesome.

Premium Member
    Comments

Was a very sad day when it was announced, glad to see the rest of the studio are following his wishes that they continue producing work. I know I'm not alone in saying that basically what I do is produce illustrated versions of Storm Thorgerson covers. In particular, I just loved the work he did for The Mars Volta (though it does help when your favourite artist does some work for your favourite band).

I dont want to hijack this thread with pictures but this was always my personal favourite, for the Widow EP by The Mars Volta.

Comments

The guy had a man set on fire to photograph him for an album cover.

What's Photoshop?