Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CS5 or CS6?

Premium Member

Comments

Not sure if you're referring to what I wrote, but I don't think it's a "rent to own". If you decide to do the cloud and need photoshop for the next 10 years you'll have to keep paying for it each month. That's my understanding.

And your new computer should be able to handle the other programs being on the hard drive no problem. But I'm guessing you could uninstall what you didn't want on there.

Premium Member

Comments

With the cloud service, you only install the applications you need. so after you pay your first month... just download Photoshop and Illustrator (it took an impressive 20 or so minutes to download and install) If you ever need Dreamweaver, In Design or something else, you just download and install.

As for the ongoing cost... for those of us who use these tools every day...it's a the most important and cheapest overhead you could ever have.

Premium Member

Comments

I should probably mention that I use After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design, and Flash regularly... so the "lease" makes more economical sense for me...rather than purchasing the Master Collection every 2 years. The same wouldn't be true if I only used Photoshop I suppose.

Premium Member

Comments

CS5 is pretty awesome, but I have to admit I know very little about it or any new features. I can't say anything about CS6.
    I currently use Photoshop 7. Fucking 7. As in pre Photoshop CS. But all I really use it for is formatting and layout stuff and like, very basic image editing for print and web.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Premium Member

Comments

If you do buy it you might want to consider going the amazon route via the gigposter button at the bottom of the page.

Edit: actually, I think I remember some complaints from people buying adobe products on amazon and not getting exactly what they were expecting/what was advertised. I forget. Buyer beware.
    Last edited by mikeage; 04-12-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Comments

ha - i did JUST see on the adobe site that I can just get photoshop for $20/month. Now just to figure out if it would be too strange to not have Illustrator. Not that I use it, just always had it. Fine with not having InDesign - no one can force me into doing pay layout ever again.

Comments
    Items for Sale

I can do everything I need with CS5, and will probably be able to continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

but I do very little collab or sharing of work files.... I just deliver final files. And the PDF standard is not filled with fast-paced changes. TIFs are TIFs. 1080 HD video will be the video standard for a while to come, and even when it changes, I'll still be able to output whatever size video I need. there'll always be Handbrake if/when newer compression codecs or formats come up.

I sort of see this as Adobe building too good a set of products. More people have less reason to upgrade as time goes on.

Premium Member

Comments

We just signed up for the Creative Cloud, I gotta say it's pretty damn awesome so far. Just the ability to be able to use Dreamweaver, Flash and Muse for web and phone/tablet stuff is pretty bad ass.

Premium Member

Comments

Any chance the cloud gives you access to their font folio or is it just the standard fonts that come with indesign and illustrator?

Premium Member

Comments

I wish, but as far as I can tell that's a whole separate deal.