Unwanted halftones with Inkscape and AccuRIP on Epson 1430
So I've got an .svg file that I created in Inkscape, with some greys and some solid black. When I print my film via AccuRIP to my 1430, the black comes out halftoned, like this:
The blacks are 100% black, and there doesn't seem to be any antialiasing going on:
Nothing special going on in the color management settings:
Anyone else have this issue? Images with only pure black are coming out nice and crisp with no halftones... seems to be something about grey and black together in the same image that's causing the issue.
Maybe it has something to do with UCR and outputting as a CMYK black? Try changing the black to a spot color and see it that helps. One puzzling thing is that your registration mark is toned and UCR shouldnt affect that... unless you were just placing registration marks on top of one another and filling the colors rather than using a registration swatch or having the RIP place them.
The reg marks are actually just shapes I drew, same color as the text.
You can see just under the cmyk levels, it shows the rgba code #000000ff -- I think that rgba is what Inkscape uses internally, and then just converts to closest-match cmyk or rgb depending on what tab you have selected. I've got all black ink cartridges anyway, and accurip is set up to pull from all of them equally, so... I dunno. It's weird.
OK, the issues I've been having are mostly solved, so in case anyone comes across this later, here's the skinny.
-The #000000ff color in Inkscape is a rich black in CMYK, with various non-zero levels of all four colors (it's NOT 0% CMY and 100% K as Inkscape says).
-Inkscape converts everything to sRGB for printing.
These first two things aren't a huge deal for me, because I'm using six black cartridges in my printer. However, the next one is a big one for everybody, regardless of your ink setup:
-AccuRIP doesn't like it when you tile transparent objects. I had solid black text on top of semi-transparent black background layers; changing the background layers to 100% opacity and making them grey instead of black caused the text to print out nice and sharp. I had another image that was black text on top of semi-transparent white on top of black; same thing, shitty halftoned text until I ditched the white.
When ever I'm doing text combined with halftones I typically output the text but itself without running it through halftone rip. Then a clear tape the clean text into where it needs to be in the halftones. This way the text always stays nice and sharp