Gig Posters

Posters: 155629 | Bands: 135530 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CS5 or CS6?

Comments

Default CS5 or CS6?

My very own iMac is on it's way, printer, scanner, etc. But now I need my own copy of PS.
    Question - I am thinking about CS5 because i have been working on it and it's not too buggy as i can tell. And it could be cheaper.
    How is CS6? Any issues?
    Other than Adobe, anyone know a fairly reputable place to buy either of these (esp if I go with CS5)? I am iffy about 'download only' - mild luddite syndrome.
    Thanks!
    fpig

Premium Member

Comments

i use cs6 at work, mainly photoshop and indesign and have had no problems. but it is pc. actually heading out this weekend to get cs6 for my home mac. unless someone posts different in this thread i'll be getting it from the mac store.

Comments

i thought cs6 was all cloudy and you basically rent it

Premium Member

Comments

CS6 is the first time that Illustrator runs in 64bit mode, so if you want to take advantage of RAM over 4GB...it's the only way. Also, the cloud service is pretty great, I've been running it for a few months now. If you own a previous copy (legal) it's only $49.99 a month (for the access to the entire suite)...and then you get upgrades when they happen.

my 2 cents

Premium Member

Comments

As far as where to purchase... I have always preferred to buy from Adobe directly rather than from a re-seller. A re-seller gets software at a wholesale discount... and doesn't pass any savings on to you (not saying that they should)

And personally, I would rather Adobe get the full amount for the product they design, develop, maintain and improve. Same thing I would expect from my customers really.

again, just my opinion

Comments

I dig CS6, it seems to run a bit faster than 5. Unless you're a deep photoshop user you might not notice the difference between 5 & 6 so it's up to you. Personally, I think the cloud subscription is great and that is the way I am going to upgrade on my at home machine. The sub is not a huge one time out of pocket expense and it upgrades automatically.

Premium Member

Comments

if you're wanting to convert your artwork from raster to vector via Live Trace, CS6 (as far as i can tell) is not nearly as good as CS5. adobe took away a lot of the ability to customize your settings, the ability to fine-tune your line quality etc.

it just seems much more basic, you are much more at the mercy of whatever settings they have pre-configured. so much so that i went back to CS5, i'll probably wait and see what CS7 is like. though if you work with client files at all, they'll probably send you CS6 files - which aren't as backwards compatible as previous versions seemed to be.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by kolfacekilla View Post
    if you're wanting to convert your artwork from raster to vector via Live Trace, CS6 (as far as i can tell) is not nearly as good as CS5
    They re-engineered LiveTrace in CS6, so yes... it is startling the first time you try to use it the way you did in CS5 (if you did) but it's still completely customizable.

Premium Member

Comments

the cloud looks like a really good deal, but it probably depends on how likely you are to do or need the upgrades when they come out.

if you're getting the cs6 design standard (photoshop, illustator, indesign, acrobat pro) you'll be out $1300 in one lump sum. comparatively renting it through the cloud would only be $600 after a year. after two years you're only out $1200...but if you decide to stop paying the monthly cost you have nothing.

purchasing it you don't get the free upgrade when it comes out, but when you get done paying it off you can use it for free as long as it still runs. i'm sure there are plenty of articles out there on leasing vs buying a car.

also heard that adobe may stop doing the .5 upgrades. this would mean new versions would come out every two years. and the upgrade for cs6 design standard right now is only $275...could you use cs6 for three or four years then upgrade to cs8? this scenario has exceeded my math skills for a friday after 5pm.

Comments

Just two things...

#1 oh - ok, so creative cloud IS a payoff system? After 2.1 years, I stop paying because i have essentially bought it over time?

#2 There are so many things on Creative Cloud that i do NOT need - really PS and Illustrator are pretty much it. Would all the rest be dragging on my system?

I guess this sounds like the best option - and I would opt for paying a year at once. Can up again after a year or just buy PS outright if I find that is all I need. But someone chime in if it sucks for them.

thanks guys!
    fpig