Gig Posters

Posters: 156255 | Bands: 135961 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Q: Just Getting Started (Austin TX)

checklist:

-Went to Flatstock 38 at SXSW and saw a lot of great work (inspired)
    -Watched and talked to Andymac as he was pulling prints
    -Bought Andy's book (lots of great info)
    -built a vacuum table 32"x24"
    -gathering parts to build a 1000W MH exposure unit with neoprene vacuum top. (but I think we'll start with the sun first)

This is going to be a very part time hobby/art project (yeah right) for me and the kids working out of our garage.
    We'll start with paper/posters to gain experience/make tons of mistakes and then maybe work our way up to t-shirts w/Llamas (help me). No plans what-so-ever to turn this into a business so I'm looking more for control of the process as opposed to stuff that can turn out a lot of prints. (a run will consist of 10-15 prints at most)

Now it's time to start gathering supplies and I'm a little overwhelmed over the selection or where to buy.
    We're in Austin TX and are looking for a local store or online if we have to. So what I'm asking for is to use some of your collective experience and get recommendations from my shopping list.

My current shopping list: (please point out any mistakes I may be making)
    -Hinge clamps
    -screens, 20x24 ??? or 23x31 ??? with a 230 Mesh (basic with room to grow for stochastic/half-tones)
    am I asking for trouble with large screens? is the mesh TPI correct?
    -emulsion (clueless on what to buy, this won't be a regular running shop so a good shelf life is a consideration, along with something that can resolve half-tones)
    -scoop coater
    -squeegee (not sure of size, thinking 16"-18" w/ 70 durometer)
    -degreasers, screen reclaiming chemicals (again, overwhelmed)
    -ink (here again clueless on what to get, would like to make my way eventually to pantone matching with a scale, so I'll need to get a good set of base colors, not even sure what size to get quart? smaller? I'll probably start small just to get a feel on how fast we use ink)
    -base extender (do I need this? I'm thinking I do)
    -binder ???
    -films (will probably start with 8.5x11 but I have access to a larger HP printer so I can work with larger films)
    -source for paper (various sizes and recommended weight)

Yeah, I know I'm going in deep, it's ok, I've got time and expect to use this journey for our education and hopefully entertainment. What I'd like to do though, is avoid the early wasteful spending on the things I don't need. But at the same time with these basic supplies and lots of practice can turn out non-embarassing quality prints.
    Bottom line: ( I want someone to say "Here, buy this; it's all you'll need; it'll get you to 80% of what your looking to do, then it's just practice, practice, drink, practice")

At some point I'll probably be taking a class at either Coronado studios, or the Screen printing co-op (ACPCO) for my continuing education.

Thanks for your help,
    Tim

Comments

i am in austin too. and print in my garage too.
    - if you are getting films made, go to Dynamic Reprographics
    - for paper, I would suggest Western Paper for South Austin, O-K Paper for North Austin (and if you like getting lost in North Austin).
    Start with a Cougar 100lb. Its cheap and doesn't warp too much in our humidity.

Comments

Oh - and Miller Blue print for ink. Jerry's has ink, but very spotty in selection and size.

Comments

Current shopping list:
    -Hinge clamps = Tools | Screen Printing | Victory Factory
    -screens= Start with 156s and 195s
    -emulsion = Nazdar SourceOne Screen & Digital Printing Inks, Equipment, Media & Supplies
    -scoop coater= really the best I've used = Scoop Coaters | A.W.T World Trade
    -squeegee = Squeegees | Screen Printing | Victory Factory
    -degreasers, screen reclaiming chemicals = wherever you buy your emulsion from just ask for the appropriate reclaimer
    -ink =
    Speedball = cheap beginner
    Daler Rowney System 3= More advanced still easy to use Screen Printing | Daler Rowney
    TW Graphics = More Professional = Screen Printing Ink
    -base extender = Yes you need this.
    -binder = NO binder needed unless using dry pigments but you use Base for this.
    -films = Lots of choices here. Start by going to an office supply store and getting inkjet film
    -source for paper =
    Cougar is cheap and fine.
    French paper is easy to order online = French Paper - America's family-run paper mill

Take a class for sure. Taking this on you need to know that it is impossible to know everything there is to know about the process. I have been doing this everyday for 20 some years and still I learn something new everyday.

Comments

Further to the above:

-20x24" screens are okay up to about 12x15" prints
    -16" is a good squeegee size for 20x24" screens (18/19" if you clamp on the long edge)
    -16" is also a great size for a scoop coater
    -Buy your emulsion in pints or quarts, not gallons

Premium Member

Comments

I get all my stuff delivered, as I hate driving around Austin- you can waste a day or more easily just getting what you need. I get my films on vellum at Miller Blue Print- ink as well. Delivery is like $5- way cheaper than what you'd spend on gas.

I get my paper from OK- delivered as well.

Most of the chems and clamps and scoop coaters you can get from Graphic Solutions up in Dallas- delivery is next-day since we're just a few hours away.

I get my screens from River City Graphics- get the biggest that'll fit w/ your set-up- you'll want to print bigger the more you print- and why spend money on small screens when you'll want to ditch them in a few months?

Good luck w/ printing in Austin- humidity is your enemy!
    Yes. That is me wearing a Borat thong in my avatar.

My Portfolio site-
    www.mrdoyle.com
    My Retail site
    www.nakatomiinc.com

Comments

Thanks guys for all of your help, this should get me started, now off to gather stuff.

I hope to post results once I make it that far.

Tim

Premium Member

Comments

"(a run will consist of 10-15 prints at most)"

That's how it starts...good luck with everything!
    I work at Landland, Mpls Our website On Facebook On this thing

Premium Member
    Comments

you peeps are getting nice in your old age. No "go premium", no "what's your favorite cheese" just a bunch of useful advice. jeez. this place has gone to heaven.
    I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like... - Syd

Premium Member

Comments

it's the age of aquarius or some shit. Buddy bought a book, he's OK by me...
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.