Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    I guess think twice before you have your work published in books in the future. Especially ones with perforated pages.
    With hindsight there really should have been something in the copyright blurb at the beginning of the book saying the individual pages are not for resale.
    "One day we'll all laugh about it as we try to warm ourselves around a barrel of burning posters, equals once more." - Crosshair

Army of Cats Design

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    I mean, we all signed our rights away for free to be in this book to support Clay, the site and for the potential exposure (which you are now getting) and then you're pissed when that happens?
    We didn't sign away our rights to our own artwork though, only that they can be reproduced in the book.

I would argue that, legally, removing the pages, framing them, and advertising them as original fine art prints is creating derivative works.
    "One day we'll all laugh about it as we try to warm ourselves around a barrel of burning posters, equals once more." - Crosshair

Army of Cats Design

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by DRG View Post
    We didn't sign away our rights to our own artwork though, only that they can be reproduced in the book.

I would argue that, legally, removing the pages, framing them, and advertising them as original fine art prints is creating derivative works.
    This.

Premium Member

Comments

Huh, looks like we have one on there as well... This should be fun!

Premium Member

Comments

I have suggested that they reach out to everyone involved. They seem willing to cooperate and create wholesale accounts for folks willing to work with them.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by DRG View Post

It's not derivative because nothing new has been created. It's false advertising. But that is about it.

Aside from the misleading description, it's no different than the guy at the flea market selling old advertisements from magazine or maps from books.

Comments

Art.com is pretty funny in the sad kinda way. Anyone with half a brain can see that you aren't getting a real Warhol or Picasso for $800. I got actually physically ill while looking through that site.

Comments

Another element of copyright law is that the rights holder has the right to detirmine who can financially benefit from their property, so again, while there's nothing overtly illegal about the removal of the pages, the rights holders can still object to them being resold for profit.

Army of Cats Design

Comments

theres something really weird and post modern to me about someone who claims to like "art" going to "art.com" to buy it.

Comments

I have a phone meeting with a atty in the morning, I'll let you know what he says.