Gig Posters

Posters: 155629 | Bands: 135530 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

The fucking fuck?

This is NOT happening. No it is not.

World of hurt coming your way motherfuckers.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryluna View Post
    Is it though?

I'm working on a deal with them, and this doesn't feel very up and up to me.
    They told me they bought a few books and were offering them on the site to gauge interest in their audience about gigposters. It lead them to contacting us, so I do feel a lot better about it, especially if they drop the posters form the site today.

I don't really know if there is anything illegal about selling cut posters form a book. There are a ton on ebay always. Is it odd and a little weird? Ya. Not sure if it's illegal though.

Comments

Art.com - where we get creative with ethicals and business practices!
    "One day we'll all laugh about it as we try to warm ourselves around a barrel of burning posters, equals once more." - Crosshair

Army of Cats Design

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

But as far as I can tell, they haven't done anything wrong. They purchased the books and removed the pages (as was intended) and are reselling them. They are not reproducing them.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    But as far as I can tell, they haven't done anything wrong. They purchased the books and removed the pages (as was intended) and are reselling them. They are not reproducing them.
    Agreed. They are selling them framed too, because there are text and pics on the back, lol.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by naduval View Post
    I don't really know if there is anything illegal about selling cut posters form a book. There are a ton on ebay always. Is it odd and a little weird? Ya. Not sure if it's illegal though.
    Well it's certainly misleading. If you look at their list of product types they don't mention anything about 'pages torn out of books': Art.co.uk Product Types & Information

They are classing the rock posters as Framed Art Prints:

Art Print

An offset lithography printing press gives the fine art print its vivid and sharp appearance. The standardized printing plates and proofing process guarantee that each print displays colors precisely as the artist or publisher intended. Produced on medium-weight cover stock, these high-quality reproductions are coated with a silken finish that protects the inks and creates an elegant look. Art prints are versatile, and strike a balance between quality and affordability.
    "One day we'll all laugh about it as we try to warm ourselves around a barrel of burning posters, equals once more." - Crosshair

Army of Cats Design

Comments

They told me they bought a few books and were offering them on the site to gauge interest in their audience about gigposters. It lead them to contacting us, so I do feel a lot better about it, especially if they drop the posters form the site today.

I get all of that.

But I am literally in contract negotiations with them, and I have been for over a month. I'm all but one signature away from a deal with them to license some art prints.

So, while this might be legal, we all know it's not ethical really. Not to the consumers who don't know what they are really buying. Not to the poster artists who are getting no credits at all. And it's not ethical to the bands either.

I'm so sure Belle & Sebastian are going to be AMPED to see my poster for them suddenly popping up for sale at Art.com. And while I have a good relationship with their merch manager and the band, this is potentially going to blow back on ME at some point, should they see it before I contact them. And even if we straighten it all out, I still feel like as a poster artist, I am being put in a hard position with one of my clients.

I'm fucking pissed.

Comments

I put 30 copies of a single poster in a cart - total: $1,799.70, not sure if that would go through as an order, or if the next page would tell me how many are actually available (I'm not clicking further to find out) but it seems like more than a "few books"

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I guess think twice before you have your work published in books in the future. Especially ones with perforated pages.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I mean, we all signed our rights away for free to be in this book to support Clay, the site and for the potential exposure (which you are now getting) and then you're pissed when that happens?

Aside from the misleading description of the piece and of the printing process, I don't think they have done anything wrong.