Gig Posters

Posters: 154962 | Bands: 135082 | Designers: 11473                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default are demos frowned upon?

I was wondering. I am reading a lot of threads here but I didn't see any about doing demos.

I am interested in getting a portfolio together and was wondering what the thoughts are on doing band/movie style posters for my portfolio if they are never sold.

the approach would be specific to each band or film (including using logos(me creating original logos based on my concept or design), color themes, even style of illustration...but I'd like to show clearly I understand the bands/ and properties I am trying to appeal to.

so a series of pieces for movies, bands, and whatever else I am interested in...but only for my portfolio, or online site to show my ideas and how they'd be handled specifically for each assignment.

thanks in advance for any insight.

Rich
    Last edited by blasterkid; 08-28-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Comments

I believe that's called fan art, not demos. Fan art doesn't upset people if you aren't trying to sell it. I'm not a professional but I imagine a portfolio would look better (and make YOU look better) with real designs and real work as opposed to simply fan art.

Premium Member

Comments

Even aside from selling that stuff—which is a bad idea—I'd steer clear of all that stuff if I were you...partially because if you're posting it online, there's (probably) a chance you could get in trouble with the people/bands/companies whose properties you're borrowing for your portfolio...but also for a couple other reasons:

1) If you want an honest assessment of your work, it'll be better if you're not piggybacking on some existing property/band/whatever and the built-in connotations of whatever that work is. If you're good, your work should be able to stand apart from those associations, and if you're just starting out, it'll be understandable that you don't have a bunch of big names under your belt. That said, there are entire careers here and in similar circles (for better or worse) that are solely based on repurposing existing properties and characters from movies or whatever, so I guess if you have no ethical qualms with that stuff, at the very least you won't be alone. Whatever that's worth? I'd feel really shady about it, and I'd probably also be somewhat paralyzed wondering if people actually liked the work I was doing because I was doing it, or just because they grew up watching whatever show or loving whatever band/movie/etc.

Also 2), it's going to get annoying (for you) pretty quickly if you have to constantly explain to prospective clients that, no, you didn't actually design a tour poster for Metallica, and no, you didn't clear licensing with The Simpsons, it's just an exercise...especially as your portfolio eventually starts to fill out with actual work. Having to explain that will probably do you more harm than good as far as being hired is concerned. A lot of the bands hiring people to do this stuff are pretty protective of their brand & keep tight reins on how they're represented in other people's art, so if the first thing they find out about you is that you're not terribly concerned with any of that, I can only imagine it sorta looks bad.

There's a million other reasons, of course, and a million reasons why it's probably no big deal, but those are a couple things I can think of off the top of my head.
    I work at Landland, Mpls Our websiteOn FacebookOn this thing

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Black View Post
    Even aside from selling that stuff—which is a bad idea—I'd steer clear of all that stuff if I were you...partially because if you're posting it online, there's (probably) a chance you could get in trouble with the people/bands/companies whose properties you're borrowing for your portfolio...but also for a couple other reasons:

1) If you want an honest assessment of your work, it'll be better if you're not piggybacking on some existing property/band/whatever and the built-in connotations of whatever that work is. If you're good, your work should be able to stand apart from those associations, and if you're just starting out, it'll be understandable that you don't have a bunch of big names under your belt. That said, there are entire careers here and in similar circles (for better or worse) that are solely based on repurposing existing properties and characters from movies or whatever, so I guess if you have no ethical qualms with that stuff, at the very least you won't be alone. Whatever that's worth? I'd feel really shady about it, and I'd probably also be somewhat paralyzed wondering if people actually liked the work I was doing because I was doing it, or just because they grew up watching whatever show or loving whatever band/movie/etc.

Also 2), it's going to get annoying (for you) pretty quickly if you have to constantly explain to prospective clients that, no, you didn't actually design a tour poster for Metallica, and no, you didn't clear licensing with The Simpsons, it's just an exercise...especially as your portfolio eventually starts to fill out with actual work. Having to explain that will probably do you more harm than good as far as being hired is concerned. A lot of the bands hiring people to do this stuff are pretty protective of their brand & keep tight reins on how they're represented in other people's art, so if the first thing they find out about you is that you're not terribly concerned with any of that, I can only imagine it sorta looks bad.

There's a million other reasons, of course, and a million reasons why it's probably no big deal, but those are a couple things I can think of off the top of my head.
    Well put. and spot on in my opinion

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

What Dan said. just make the work fit the theme without the band or movie information.

Premium Member

Comments

What Dan said x3. Don't do fan art. It looks bad.
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

That does make total sense Dan thanks. It's overwhelming a bit at first when you start looking at all the work people post here and elsewhere online...and you start to think "this couldn't all be possibly licensed material"

I'll try and create things based on bigger ideas, "epic, horror, flirty, western, sci-fi etc...." and not deal with exact properties then.

thanks./
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Black View Post

Premium Member

Comments

Glad I could help. And that that post even made sense at all.
    I work at Landland, Mpls Our websiteOn FacebookOn this thing

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

do it like Rocket & Wink, make a magazine:
    Rocket & Wink - Whatever 3 About Music Posters

leave out the part though, where you make actual screenprints from the magazine designs and sell them during Flatstock Europe 8. that won't go too well with the rest of the participants.
    pöster | müsic | posterkrauts ja

»You're funny... for a German.« – Crosshair

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

what the crap. they even post that they not official in their store. Also they are kinda boring too.

Quote Originally Posted by electr. View Post
    do it like Rocket & Wink, make a magazine:
    Rocket & Wink - Whatever 3 About Music Posters

leave out the part though, where you make actual screenprints from the magazine designs and sell them during Flatstock Europe 8. that won't go too well with the rest of the participants.