Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135997 | Designers: 11551                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Comments

Default GP artists work popping up on Art.com / Allposters.com

Alerted by John Howard's facebook post, I'm spotting quite a few GP artists work on art.com and allposters.com (or .co.uk depending on where you are). It's the same site just different interfaces.

Get on there and check for your work and email them to get it taken down, or take them to court or whatever.

Super lame but this happens fairly regularly these days, sadly.

Clay - it looks like they have scanned the large posters from the GeePee books, so just a heads up in case that's an angle worth pursuing.
    "One day we'll all laugh about it as we try to warm ourselves around a barrel of burning posters, equals once more." - Crosshair

Army of Cats Design

Premium Member

Comments

I have sent emails to my contact there (they were actually in the process of placing a wholesale order with me...) and I copied my management contacts of bands that I have woked with, who's posters are on the site.

I am with Graham, I think this is coming from the GP books. They are either scanning and reselling, or the publisher cut a deal that they were not entitled to do.

They will of course be taking them down (soon, I imagine), but the larger issue is the money these posters may have generated, and who deserves to have it.

Either way, answers are needed.

You can see a lot of them here:

Rock Art and Prints at Art.com

Premium Member

Comments

Wow! They just lifted Crosshair's Iron and Wine? Iron and Wine in Chicago, Illinois, 2005 Posters at AllPosters.com

Comments

yeah looks like my stuff is on there as well....It does look like its coming from the GP book, by size and whats on there. How lame.

Premium Member

Comments

Ok, I heard back!

They bought a few copies of that book, and are selling the pages, framed, to test the market to see if people who shop on the site would be interested in gigposters. I do sort of believe them, because they approached me a month ago and we were just days away from finalizing wholesale order with me for gigposters and art prints.

I told them I highly recommend them taking them all down immediately and contacting the artists directly to work out Purchase Orders, like they did to me.

In a galaxy, far, far away from the galaxy that Star Wars takes place
    Comments

Yep, my Chris Isaak poster is on there, so it has to be a situation where they are taking stuff from the GP book....

edit: just saw the above post....

Comments

Um wow. Ganked here too. It's definitely my Belle & Sebastian poster from the book.

This is very unsettling. Especially since I am working on a deal with them currently as well. Ugh.

At first I thought maybe this was through licensing with Chronicle or even Clay, but if they are basically selling pages like that Ebay goof, this is super not OK. No attributions for the artists, no clearances from the artists OR the bands. It's not going to sit well with anyone.

Nate, can you PM or email me your contact?

Premium Member

Comments

So it's on the up and up and could potentially be a good thing of they start buying/licensing directly from us.

Comments

Is it though?

I'm working on a deal with them, and this doesn't feel very up and up to me.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    So it's on the up and up and could potentially be a good thing of they start buying/licensing directly from us.
    Ya, seems so.

The order they were in the process of placing with me was pretty decent.

I will gladly pass along everyone else's email to the buyer there, hopefully all of us can get an order in with them.

They did seem very cooperative and I told them it's probably in everyones best interest if they remove the posters and contact the artists to place real orders if they want gig posters on the site.

I'm just relieved to know that the publisher didn't sell images they didn't have rights to.