Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Do you think I'll get trained how to use the automatic press?

I called up a screen printing company last week to ask about possible job openings. I told the manager that I learned how to screen print when I was in school. He told me that he wants someone with experience and if I'm interested I can come in whenever I want for him to see if I'm good on the machine.

I googled the company and found their Facebook page which had a few photos. I saw that they had an automatic Challenger screen printing press and I've only been trained on a manual press. Next week, I'll be going into another print shop that will let me practice screen printing which will also be on a manual press. This might sound silly, but do you guys think the potential employer will show me the door when I tell him that I don't have experience on an automatic press for t-shirts? Don't you think he would train me and show me how to use it? I assume I can use what I already know which will make it easier to learn.

What do you guys think?

Premium Member

Comments

Just walk in, look the guy in the eye when he asks about your experience, and tell him you used to run a challenger, but you were Die Hazed by aliens, and all you can remember are the basics.

Then whip out some sandpaper and ask which way to the screen reclaiming area.

Good luck
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Nobody wants to invest time and resources in training employees if they think they can find one who will walk in ready to start. Welcome to a shit job market. Good luck.

Premium Member

Comments

Actually Dan, most good shops will take a raw recruit and train them to their system. Finding the good shop is the trick.

Seriously ScreenZ, you want a job there, tell them you will start at the bottom, and work for shit wages in exchange for a chance to learn. Then do your job extremely well, and take any chance to learn the steps.

Case in point, Casey (perkins' honey) she started catching at a t-shirt shop in Austin a little over a year ago. She's the production manager now. Be smart. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.

Also, they aren't the only screen shop....keep looking if you want to work in the industry.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    Actually Dan, most good shops will take a raw recruit and train them to their system. Finding the good shop is the trick.

Seriously ScreenZ, you want a job there, tell them you will start at the bottom, and work for shit wages in exchange for a chance to learn. Then do your job extremely well, and take any chance to learn the steps.

Case in point, Casey (perkins' honey) she started catching at a t-shirt shop in Austin a little over a year ago. She's the production manager now. Be smart. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.

Also, they aren't the only screen shop....keep looking if you want to work in the industry.
    Okay, but how can I say that as professional as possible? "I don't mind working for a smaller wage in exchange for a chance to learn" sounds a bit desperate.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenZ View Post
    Okay, but how can I say that as professional as possible? "I don't mind working for a smaller wage in exchange for a chance to learn" sounds a bit desperate.
    You don't have to say it, just imply it. I'm sure the hirer knows what he/she is looking for. If they have the work then they may take a chance on a noob. Good that they gave you an interview. Show up early to the interview, dress professionally (in this case no tie needed). Conduct yourself during the interview as though you already have the job. When given a tour of the facilities introduce your self to other workers. Ask questions pertinent to the work that you see being done at the moment. Give the interviewer a high-five or, if the interview went very well, a pro-sports butt slap on departure.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    if the interview went very well, a pro-sports butt slap on departure.
    ...especially if the interviewer is a woman. They love that.