Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Anyone screenprint outlines on glass for reverse gilding? Mesh count?

So, I've been experimenting with gold leaf on glass recently and having quite a bit of success for a noob to gilding, however, my brush skills are terrible and my outlines are clunky as shit. I need to learn how to handle that pinstriping brush.

In the meantime, I've seen a lot of vids of people screenprinting outlines and backing-paint for reverse gilding, so I figured I'd try that. Last night I threw some 1 shot enamel in a 305 mesh screen and it went on beautifully, however, after gilding and backing the area up with more enamel, the removal of the excess leaf took the surrounding, printed outlines right off. Even after letting the enamel sit over night.

Last week I did a sign with hand-painted outlines and as clunky as it was, removing the excess leaf went smoothly just a few hours after painting.

My guess would be that the 305 mesh is laying down a super thin deposit of enamel and it isn't tough enough, resulting in my outline being taken off at the touch of a cotton-wad and water.

Has anyone got any experience with this type of stuff? Recommendations for alternative enamels?
    Last edited by kim_a; 03-11-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Comments

156 mesh or 195. The trick to getting a mirror finish is size and leaf on the back first. Then print your enamel as a protectant and scrub off the leaf you dont want. This way tightens up the leaf and makes it look smooth.

Comments

What squegeethree said and let that one shot dry completely...it takes a while.

Premium Member

Comments

I'll have to pick up some lower count screens and give it another try this weekend (I print mostly on paper so all I have around is 230 and 305). Thanks guys.

Not really having any trouble getting a nice mirror gild, even on top of the painted or printed outlines. I'm using distilled water and gelatin to make fresh size for every job. Not the greatest photo, but its a perfect mirror finish (yes, that is a Santora print in the reflection ).