Gig Posters

Posters: 154911 | Bands: 135050 | Designers: 11471                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Alea Bone, Darlene Schaper, Jonny Luczycki & Tara Murino-Brault: art show @ Goodfoot

The Goodfoot will have an art opening last Thurs. Feb 28th from 5-11pm. The show will be up until March 25th. This months artists are Alea Bone, Darlene Schaper, Jonny Luczycki and Tara Murino-Brault.

Alea Bone's upbringing as a flower child in the ghetto of East Oakland instilled in her a scrappy, DIY instinct to make use of what is available and scavenge for the rest. Working mainly with reclaimed materials and non-traditional media, she prefers painting on old plywood and incorporates found objects whenever possible to create richly textured assemblages. Alea enjoys blurring the lines between the sacred and the profane, High brow and Outsider art. Though she holds a BFA in Illustration from the Pacific Northwest College of Art, Alea has spent the last 10+ years in a desperate attempt to unlearn the conventions she was exposed to in Art School and get back to her gritty, outsider roots. Inspired by the alternative sub-cultural aesthetics of Day of the Dead, Voodoo, New Wave and Beer, she's still honing her own Funky, Folky style of art on the edge, striving to strike the chord of coolness with a touch of bohemian class and a twist of wit.

Darlene Schaper combines decorative elements and embellishes objects into 3-D sculptural worlds of wonder. Using vintage fur, lace, discarded toys, and much more she reinvents obscure antiques and oddities into precious animals, sculptures, shrines and reliquaries. Her choice of media are items that are on their last stop before becoming landfill from the Goodwill Outlet, curbside on trash day, and craigslist free ads. The Artist intends to inform the viewer through art about our ever growing waste threat and remind us of our connection with the earth and other creatures affected by our actions. Darlene Schaper is a Native Oregonian living in Portland and a graduate of the Pacific NW College of Art. She has been an artist and explorer since she was a child having a great love of nature and its creatures. Everything is wondrous and precious to her and she has spent years collecting obscure antiques, oddities, and natural specimens. Many things she incorporates into her art.

In the second grade Jonny Luczyckistarted selling drawings of Disney characters for quarters at recess and spent his winnings on chocolate milk. At that moment, he knew exactly what he wanted to do with his life. Having always been fascinated with figurative painters and the graphic works of the Art Nouveau illustrators, Jonny's work tends to lean towards deconstructing the classical ways to paint the portrait and focuses on the graphic shapes and colors that surround it. Jonny came up with the style and term Abstrotica over a decade ago, which is his way of trying to invent a new kind of portrait, in hopes of painting something that goes against what we have already seen. He does not want everything in his work revealed at first glance, nor will he try to break down the meaning of his work using artistic adjectives that try to impress or belittle. Jonny's hope is that the viewer can experience a connection with his work and get lost in the layers of design, and if they don’t, the following statement may help them. What starts out as a vision soon becomes corroded into a manifesto of lust using line drawings and interactive images as patterns. I create a meditative environment of abstract shapes juxtaposed with classical portrait skills and illustrative line work. I am also an avid plein air painter, which means that I paint landscapes out on location, capturing that moment of light with my brush. I have done this nearly every day for the last five years and have realized that nature is the most amazing teacher out there!

Tara Murino-Brault was born and raised in Chicago. She received her BFA in Graphic Design at The University of Illinois at Chicago and her MFA in printmaking at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. Currently, she is an artist and educator who resides in the Portland Oregon area. She currently teaches a variety of classes at Portland Community College and is mom to a five-year-old named Gus. Her favorite mediums are all forms of printmaking, carving, and painting in gouache and acrylic. Her favorite dessert is cupcakes. Since the beginning, symbolism has been a prominent theme in my work. Images such as trees, women, animals, and religious icons communicate ideas about cultural power and powerlessness, spiritualism, mortality, and rebirth. I enjoy playing with opposing elements such as light and dark, reason and folly, or good and evil, and the interdependence of each to define the other. With iconic etchings, relief prints, collagraphs and paintings, I create an illustrative approach to communicate at a deeper level and to engage people in a larger narrative beyond the image. Printmaking is my main medium, and I tend towards the practices of both relief and intaglio printmaking. Both processes allow me to produce graphic images with different emphases, one vibrant in layered color, and the other rich with velvety blacks. I enjoy the tactile quality of making prints as well, and find that the physical nature of the process creates an extra layer of definition and meaning in each print.

Check Sun March 3rd for a full catalog of art online here.
    Christopher Michael Creath, Christopher Kelleher, Matt Schlosky, Nathan Turner art show at Goodfoot Gallery
    current show is there now.

Facebook event here
    https://www.facebook.com/events/133714083465007/

The goodfoot
    2845 SE Stark
    503-239-9292
    Goodfoot on facebook http://on.fb.me/JupSf9
    Christopher Michael Creath, Christopher Kelleher, Matt Schlosky, Nathan Turner art show at Goodfoot Gallery
    open daily 5-2:30
    upcoming art events
    -------------------------
    Every Sun Drink & Draw - at the Goodfoot

Comments

opens this thurs .
    few for the show

Comments

opens this thurs .
    few for the show

Comments

opens tomorrow Thurs .