Gig Posters

Posters: 154224 | Bands: 134485 | Designers: 11430                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Squeegees with wavy blades

We all know squeegee blades come in rolls. You chop a piece off the roll, and secure it to a handle.

Being stored on rolls will, over time, cause the polyurethane to develop a memory, so that when it's straightened out, you'll still see waves from the rolling.

I've got three or four squeegees (14" and above) that are noticeably wavy along their length, presumably as a result of this. It's difficult to get a good push stroke, and almost impossible to get a good flood.

Any of you had issues with this before? The squeegees are from Ryonet, so I'm not sure if it's just because they were made on the cheap, if I got the end of some rolls, or if this is a common problem.

Premium Member

Comments

Get your money back on that useless shit. Ryonet shouldn't sell them and neither should anyone else.

I've gotten imperfect squeegees maybe 2-3 times ever. Each time I've brought them back and they were replaced without question.

Part of the problem is, you're dealing with a mail order supplier. If there is any other option for a brick and mortar supplier in your area, you should look into it.

i personally would heat it put it between two flat things clamp it firmly and let it cool but im just crazy

Comments

Your wavy edge isn't coming from the stock being stored on a roll (We make our own squeegees and don't have this problem). The wave is most likely due to how the squeegee is secured into the handle. Your wave may coincide with screws or staples in the handle. So either the handle groove is looser in those wave spots or there is uneven tension across the blade.

Premium Member

Comments

this. It's from the nails. If you can take them into a supplier or a shop with a squeegee grinder you can get them fixed.

If you get the chance pick up some metal handle, do it. Will last forever and you only have to buy blade. Serilor/Fimor. I can sell you some but the min order is $500.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

They're actually glued into the handles. Here's a picture of the worst offender (shame, my only 80 durometer):

Premium Member
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Your wavy edge isn't coming from the stock being stored on a roll (We make our own squeegees and don't have this problem). The wave is most likely due to how the squeegee is secured into the handle. Your wave may coincide with screws or staples in the handle. So either the handle groove is looser in those wave spots or there is uneven tension across the blade.
    what's the best way to get even tension across the blade? I've just started changing out the blades that are in my holders.

Premium Member

Comments

that picture is messed up.

FG, are these on your wood handles or your press squeegees? With the metal handles, the first thing is make sure they are clean. Then bed the blade flush and flat. then, small amounts of tension evenly on all screws or bolts. Don't overtighten in one spot or it will pinch the blade and cause a bulge at the edge.

I'm sure Sque3 has a more refined method.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

I sent an email to Ryonet asking if they sell squeegees with straight blades anymore.

In the words of my girlfriend, "fuck dem broke-ass squeegees"

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    This.

I've had squeegee material in a roll for over a year and it went into the handle perfectly straight.