Gig Posters

Posters: 153003 | Bands: 133714 | Designers: 11371                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Thinking about making a poster for a local band... needing advice

I am friends with a local band that is about to go on a small tour. Basically I will be volunteering my efforts to design the poster for them. I'll probably also be responsible for printing and maybe the cost of printing. I was thinking of starting small first and going with a 11x17 size. I know this might be a crappy choice, but would Kinko's be a cheaper option with this? The only other option that seems reasonable is UPrinting...which does 50 of them for around $50 shipped. The only thing is since I am designing this for free I would have to be sure to make back my money for printing them some how and anything extra would be nice. They have agreed that I could make a percentage back from each poster that sells at their show... but now I'm left to wonder how much do 11x17 posters usually cost at a local band's show (that will also be touring)? They draw a pretty good medium sized crowd. They said I could sell them at the merch table so I'll know how much of them are selling but I probably won't be around when they are touring...so there lies another problem that I would need to figure out what to do. Any advice on what you think I should do or suggest to the band? Maybe drop the whole idea all together?

Premium Member

Comments

The band wants you to design, print, AND sell their posters? And you get to keep a percentage of the sales? Why not play the gig for them too? I'm giving you a hard time here, but the band needs to at least front the printing. A price/poster regardless of sales would be nice as well. Right now there's little incentive for the band to sell posters and you're taking all the risk. If they, er... you, sell 0 posters, you've not only donated your time but also the posters. Even if this is a job you're cutting your teeth on, you'd be selling yourself short not only for this job but also on any future job. I'd pass.

Yeah I know what you mean. First I want to say I'm the one who brought it up to them as a merch idea and they aren't forcing me to do it. I just thought it would be cool to design something for them, but I do agree that they should at least pay for the printing or pay for the design. So I guess I will talk to the band about this, but if it's something they don't want to do then I just won't do it at this time. Thanks for the input!