Gig Posters

Posters: 156255 | Bands: 135958 | Designers: 11547                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Unwanted halftones with Inkscape and AccuRIP on Epson 1430

So I've got an .svg file that I created in Inkscape, with some greys and some solid black. When I print my film via AccuRIP to my 1430, the black comes out halftoned, like this:

The blacks are 100% black, and there doesn't seem to be any antialiasing going on:

Nothing special going on in the color management settings:

Anyone else have this issue? Images with only pure black are coming out nice and crisp with no halftones... seems to be something about grey and black together in the same image that's causing the issue.

Comments

Maybe it has something to do with UCR and outputting as a CMYK black? Try changing the black to a spot color and see it that helps. One puzzling thing is that your registration mark is toned and UCR shouldnt affect that... unless you were just placing registration marks on top of one another and filling the colors rather than using a registration swatch or having the RIP place them.

Comments

The reg marks are actually just shapes I drew, same color as the text.

You can see just under the cmyk levels, it shows the rgba code #000000ff -- I think that rgba is what Inkscape uses internally, and then just converts to closest-match cmyk or rgb depending on what tab you have selected. I've got all black ink cartridges anyway, and accurip is set up to pull from all of them equally, so... I dunno. It's weird.

Comments

OK, the issues I've been having are mostly solved, so in case anyone comes across this later, here's the skinny.

-The #000000ff color in Inkscape is a rich black in CMYK, with various non-zero levels of all four colors (it's NOT 0% CMY and 100% K as Inkscape says).

-Inkscape converts everything to sRGB for printing.

These first two things aren't a huge deal for me, because I'm using six black cartridges in my printer. However, the next one is a big one for everybody, regardless of your ink setup:

-AccuRIP doesn't like it when you tile transparent objects. I had solid black text on top of semi-transparent black background layers; changing the background layers to 100% opacity and making them grey instead of black caused the text to print out nice and sharp. I had another image that was black text on top of semi-transparent white on top of black; same thing, shitty halftoned text until I ditched the white.

-I also picked up some Inkscape color management tips in this t-shirtforums.com thread which helped clear up some stray background noise.

It's also probably worth noting that you can print .svg files with other free programs like Scribus, but you'll still run into the issues above unless you fix your files first.

Comments

When ever I'm doing text combined with halftones I typically output the text but itself without running it through halftone rip. Then a clear tape the clean text into where it needs to be in the halftones. This way the text always stays nice and sharp

Comments

That's a smart idea. Do you have any issues with undercutting where the films overlap?

Comments

What the fuck is an inkscape?

Comments

It's what cheap assholes use to create vector art ;(

Comments

Update: We broke down and bought Illustrator after wasting six films in a row trying to print positives for wedding invitations.