Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135336 | Designers: 11496                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default [Noob] First Legit Poster Attempt

Hey guys, found this wonderful awesome world via the Adventures in Design podcast, love those guys.

Just for kicks I tried a poster for one of my favorite bands Coheed and Cambria. I dig their art direction on this latest double album they are about to be done releasing this next week.

Not super new to design, but I have been in the production side of comics for about 3 years.

Crits are welcome!

Premium Member

Comments

Well, I do not pull punches... first... the type... you just laid it on an illustration... boring

2. does the image relate in any way to the band? (i am not sure as I do not know their music very well) or is it something you drew and decided to make do with?

As I have said many times.. a good or great poster is one that interprets something about the band, incorporates the the info into the design rather than just plunking it on top of a stock illo...

I cant say this is a good poster... it is a poster... look around the site... see what can be done, there are the best of the best and the most amazing posters here.. this is just filler...

my two cents
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm an asshole!

Ass, Grass or Cash... No-one designs for free...

posters / Facebook / Gallery Work / Ad/Promo work / WWW.SKULLUXE.COM / Big Cartel Store

Thanks for the tips, I will agree with the copy, I haven't studied typography proper for a few years, I still have textbooks though, I shall pull them from the ole' bookshelf.

Also everything in the illo portion has something to do with the band. The background is comprised of two of the bands logo's the "Keywork" and the logo they are using for the current record. The dragonfly is a consistant icon amonsgt the fanbase/concept. The lion comes from the song Sentry The Defiant on thier album coming next week. The lyrics there read "I'll be defiant, the lion..."

I'll throw in some examples of thier current official art things

Sorry, prog rock concept band, and I'm kind of a fanboy, lol.

Premium Member

Comments

Along with dspring's comments - take a look at your dragonfly. It reads as a dragonfly in the image above, but in your poster, tucked behind the lion, it just looks like an ink splat.

Thanks for the tip, that is something easy to loose sight of when you have been a fan for so long. I guess I was banking on the notion that it was easily recognized by the fanbase, though overall I could see it not reading as well.

Comments

Never heard of the band, but I like the illustration, splotchy dragonfly and all. In my opinion, the type should be more organic looking to go with the illustrations. As it is now, it definitely looks like an afterthought.

Premium Member

Comments

might want to think about renaming the thread to not include the word "legit" if you're not doing it for the band or the venue.
    i think dspring might have been suggesting the type be more integrated into the overall design/illustration. if you leave it in the current location you could look at adjusting the color so it fits more with the rest of the poster. maybe put a slight texture to it similar to the background.what if it was a darker version of that red/brown used for the dragonfly. maybe small amounts of that color could be used to add detail to the dragonfly or shading in the lion. that might be pushing it.