Gig Posters

Posters: 156034 | Bands: 135785 | Designers: 11529                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Comments

Default Canadian sources for good inks

House paint just ain't cutting it anymore.

We've found a local shop that sells the TINY (like, 4oz) jars of Speedball acrylic, but they're so tiny. Curry's only sells 8oz jars, Aboveground sells 32oz Speedball acrylic for $20.99... and that's all we can find.

In Canada, at least.

I'm tired of lining UPS's pockets, so I'd like to avoid brokerage fees from ordering across the border.

So, fellow canucks, what sort of inks do you use, and where do you get 'em?

Premium Member

Comments

I think Curry's sells 32oz jars too. Here in halifax, you can order Gallons of speedball from the NSCAD art store, try asking your local art supply store to order some stuff in.

Premium Member
    Comments

I've had success just asking my local art store to tack on a bunch of inks for me on their next order of Speedball stuff, gave them a list of product numbers I got from the online catalogue and it was no problem. I think I only got the 16oz sizes. Not sure about the gallons but I'm assuming they'd be able to order those as well just as easily.

I met a guy from Screentec yesterday and asked him about inks. They don't deal with Speedball at all, but they distribute Nazdar stuff, so I'm thinking I might try some out.

Premium Member
    Comments

If there was a distribution source for Speedball in Canada, would you want the 32oz size? Or the Gallon size? Serious question.

Comments

I think gallons would be a bit on the large size for the amount of work we're pushing out the door these days. We'd probably be sticking to 32oz for now.

Has anyone heard of in-country sources for Jacquard or TW? Wouldn't mind trying those out too.

Premium Member

Comments

Currys also has Permaset, in 300ml & 1000ml containers. I tried it out on some t's a few months ago, and it's lovely to print with.

https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm...4376&NBReset=4

Comments

Yeah, Permaset is nice on tees. Never tried it on paper, though.

(...hmm...)

Premium Member

Comments

If you are printing on paper and have a Currys nearby, look into these. I switched from Nazdar ink to Speedball ink to acrylic paint; specifically these: https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm...LLON&NBReset=5. They are water-based so they wash off the screens with dish soap and water, but they aren't water soluble so they adhere to wood and canvas as well and don't come off with water/moisture when dry. They also have some bright fluorescent colours not offered by Speedball for paper printing. They are also pretty cheap and can be watered down with extender base if needed.
    Is the nightmare black or are the windows painted?

http://johnkurmis.com

Premium Member
    Comments

That Rheotech stuff is made about 3 blocks from my shop. I would actually recommend the Liquid Acrylics by the same company (Tri-Art) over the rheotech, less filler, more pigment, stronger colour; but it's more expensive and comes in smaller containers.

Comments

(I've always been a bit wary of acrylic paint, as I'm never sure if it'd clog up our screens.)