Just spent the last 9 hours trying to figure out the color separations on this. Everything I tried still seemed off. I know there has to be a way this can get separated. Right now I've got it at 3 colors on Steel Blue French Paper.
Dark Tealish Green kinda
Anywhere that looks black was going to be the Dark Teal overprinted on the hot pink. I've tried making the separations using channels, masks, color selections, etc, etc... My guess is that I'll need to go back and revisit the colors being used.
I don't want to exceed 3 colors - i feel like the best posters out there are the ones that LOOK like there are way more colors being used than actually are, but I'll try anything at this point. I know this will be tough to answer without having the native files open... but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original Digital File:
Colors separated into 3 screens - halftones (white way too blown out):
Okay, so below are the new seps along with the original again. Only took me about a month to wrap my head around. I pushed more of the pattern in the sky and the magenta in the water than I had in the original. Also switched the paper to white from Steel Grey, lot more trapping too. This still has the potential for being a nightmare to print - but overall I'm pretty happy with the seps. Thanks again to Josh + Dan for all the help and advice.
Last edited by pchavez923; 02-20-2013 at 10:59 PM.
One color DOES go on top of the other except for when it doesn't.
There were a lot of effects on here that I thought would be easy enough to separate using channels, and it turns out I was really wrong. But after a month and another five hours last night - I finally got it to work the way it was meant to look. High-fived myself all the way to bed even.