Gig Posters

Posters: 152981 | Bands: 133639 | Designers: 11369                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Drawing for a screenprint question

Hello all,

I'm hoping that your infinite wisdom can be used to answer a few noob questions for me. I have been trying to work on a piece that resembles closer to my traditional style but is computer created and also able to be screenprinted. I have been drawing with my custom brush in dissolve mode and am wondering if the dot sizes created will be large enough to remain intact when printing. I started with the file at 300 ppi at 18 x 24 which is the final size. Below is a screenshot if that helps. Also, if the white will be just the paper, how do you set trapping on such small dots with respect to the black over the grey? Or do you just fill the area grey and overprint black? Thank you for any help provided!

Premium Member

Comments

It kinda depends on how good your printer is...

You're likely to lose some of the lighter/more dispersed tones at 300.
    I'd suggest working at 200.

Premium Member

Comments

and print the black right over the grey, no need to knock the black out of the background
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Thanks to both of you for your quick and informative comments. It really is nice when you have esteemed professionals that are open to answering questions like these. Not seen often these days and is very refreshing.

Premium Member

Comments

Yep. If you did knock it out, it would be damn near impossible to print.

Be careful with print layers. Sometimes artists who aren't printers set up a color to both underlay and overlap another color, because they drew it that way. The printer prints the colors in one order and you should be able to view/toggle your colors accordingly.

Beware that if you are printing the gray on white paper with the white knocked out, you are going to lose some white density to (reverse) dot gain, even at 200ppi. You'll get the best detail reproduction either using gray paper or printing a solid gray field and then printing the white in positive.

Thanks!

That's a pretty nice drawing from what I can see. Please let us see your finished results. Better yet, go ahead with a process video or photos. Nice idea there.

Premium Member

Comments

i would suggest printing white, red and black onto gray paper stock. but that's just me.

Thanks Russfan I'll post it when I eventually finish and figure the correct approach out.

Thanks El Roacho - I think that may be the best solution but I have a lot of other elements that will be in the finished piece so I think when I have it near final I'll come back and see what you guys think I should do.

Premium Member

Comments

I would think a screenprint of this would look much nicer, by printing a solid gray under the black you could lose all those little white bits around your charcoal black bits (which makes it look photoshop'd)