Gig Posters

Posters: 156357 | Bands: 135975 | Designers: 11549                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Aloha! A question about gutters...

First off - I want to say how stoked I am to have found this forum, and how much I appreciate all the great info/advice shared in these threads. I'm an artist whose "day job" is commercial illustration/design, and whose "fun job" is making ceramic tiki mugs, tiles, and curiosities. I've finally decided it is about time I started drawing what I want to draw for a change, and that screenprinting is the way I wanna do it.

I've got The Book (Screen Printing Today), and I've gone Premium to get a look at the fantastic vacuum table plans. Yesterday I scored a magnificent sheet of solid surface countertop material that I plan on building my table out of. Next up: purchasing screens - but that is where things get tricky. I'm located in Hawaii (on Oahu), and shipping things out here can get crazy expensive. I was planning on ordering a set of screens from Victory - until I stumbled on a local screen supply shop that I never new existed. The dilemma: they only stock 2 sizes of frames - 17x21 ID, and 20x28 ID.

My first one color "test" illustration is 8x11.5 inches, and after that I want to do a 4 (or 5) color print at 13x19 inches. I've read that a 6" gutter is the way to go, but can I get away with a bit less?

The small screen would give me roughly a 4.5" (sides) x 4.75" (top & bottom) gutter on my small 8x11.5" print. Is a 4.75" gutter do-able for a one color run - or do I need to get the larger 20x28ID screen?

And secondly, for my big 4 or 5 color 13x19 print, can I get away with the 4.5" gutter the 20x28 ID screen would give me?

If a 6" gutter is a must, I'll go for the 20x28" screens and adjust my planned multi-color print size accordingly. Or bite the shipping bullet and get frames sent from the mainland.

A big mahalo (thank you) for any and all advice!

Henrik

Comments

You can get away with a 2" gutter..but I like more usually at least 4"...welcome tiki man.

Comments

also keep in mind that screens you order are typically measured in the OD (outer dimension) so you most likely will have to subtract the frame dims + gutter dims. OD-(Frame+gutter)=image area

Premium Member

Comments

the bigger the gutters, the easier and nicer the print.

for small prints, your squeegee is going to be at least 1" on either side of the image, and you will need at least 3" on either side of that. when you try to do it smaller, you risk the edges bleeding out or not printing and ripping or delaminating the screen from the frame.

You might want to look at Greenscreens - GreenScreen Restretchable screen system | TMI Screenprinting

they will cost about the same to start, but everytime you restretch, you save about $13-15 plus shipping and time. And when you run out of mesh, the box of replacement panels is small and lightweight. Plus you can have only a few frames, but keep and swap out different mesh counts.

ps Hope you enjoy the book.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Those greenscreens come any bigger than 25x36? That's pretty small.

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll adjust the planned size of my multi-color print a bit to give me 5" gutters top & bottom. I did manage to find a similar thread via the search tool - and I now feel guilty for asking what seems to be a common first-post question. Andymac, the book is fantastic!

Comments

gutters on the sides are just as important don't forget that.

Premium Member

Comments

Ok - I'm feeling good about the gutters... but now I have a *new question*

For my 1 color print I was panning to print black on white paper. Looking at the all the tiny white type living in vast areas of black ink fill, I am wondering if white ink printed on black paper would be a safer bet. Here is a snippet of the image in question:

The top block of text is 17 points ("V" is 3/8" high), and the lower text is 12 points ("Y" is a hair smaller than 1/8" high). I'm thinking that if I print black on white paper, I'm going to run into trouble with the black ink filling the small text on the bottom.

Once again, Mahalo (thank you)!
    Henrik

Premium Member

Comments

Funny, just printing reverses with super fine lines here.

Timeline Photos | Facebook

I think you are fucked both ways. Welcome to screenprinting.

And SQu3, no bigger than 25x36. they target the textile guys, but I think for hand (schools who spend shitpiles on new screens every year) this makes a lot of sense, and way easier than rollerframes.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    I think you are fucked both ways. Welcome to screenprinting.
    Damn! Not the double F! I had a feeling I was. I think I'm going to print black ink on white, increase the size of the upper text and get rid of the fine text on the bottom. If I can get something 1/10th as good as that motorcycle on my first print since high school I'll be a happy camper. Mahalo Andymac!
    Last edited by VanTiki; 01-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.