Gig Posters

Posters: 155148 | Bands: 135201 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cymk screenprinting onto glass

Hey all,
    was thinking of process printing onto glass. im wanting it to be on the underside of the pane so layers are reversed but wanted to know if anyone had any joy with printing onto glass with plasticols or is there any other ink system that would be suitable for process printing onto glass.
    Greg.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Plastisol=no way.
    If this is for art and not functional, you can use a water based ink. It will scratch easily but will look fine.

Comments

Yea plastisol won't do. If you wanna do water based maybe you could sand blast the glass first, give it a bit up something for the ink to hold onto. That or a solvent ink.

Comments

I'd say enamel for glass, but enamels are really opaque, so process won't really work.

I recommend not trying this!

Comments

If you have a $500000000 set up it might work, I have tried and failed miserably. enamel on glass works real well, good luck.

I have printed on to glass with acrylic, 2-pac, vinyl and a chrome effect (mirror ink). Acrylic has the transparency to be used with the process inks and can be printed dry, but the colors lack punch, (i might try to print a white base as the final layer) the reason I was thinking plasticol was the strength of color that can be achieved.
    for this project I will be printing onto the underside of the glass where the chance of scratching is minimal. Also printing on the underside gives you more punch on the color but reversing the order that the process colors are printed might muddy the colors up.
    there must be a solvent based transparent ink for use on non porous surfaces such as metal and glass. time to talk to nazdar or someone. any suggestions?

RichieGoodtimes: But I just gotta give it a try!

Premium Member

Comments

i think they have process available in their 2 component (epoxy) line, which works on glass too.

A white b/g would help to make them pop. Reversing the print order shouldn't be a problem. it will make register easier, lining up to the black.

If they don't have a set of process inks, you could give the enamel inks a level of transparency using mixing varnish. make your own process cyan, magenta, and yellow. they won't be as bright or reproduce toanl values like true process, but a lot depends on the image anyway.

the nicest thing about enamel on glass is if it is cured, varsol or turpentine (paint thinner) won't touch it, so you can clean a misprint easily, then reprint the glass. Once it is hard, only lacquer thinner will take it off.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Thanks anndymac I shall be looking forward to experimenting printing enamel with halftones when I have the time for my own stuff but for now it its back to trying to solve the problem we have with our new natgraph M3 of registration due to excessive pressure to get enough ink through for a solid print. been trying all day sort it now Im on the computer. again.

Premium Member

Comments

Looks like a TMI Jaguar, kind of. Ink lay should be more a function of mesh count, and stencil thickness, not how hard you have to push.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

kinda like the tmi but i wish the Natgraph had the vertical lift!
    Im using 120 t mesh, I need a device to measure my stencil thickness. We are printing images 27' by 60' and the results look like a lack of pressure to the edges of the squeegee. no matter the viscosoity of the ink, angle (flood or stroke), snap distance, squeegee width...........