Gig Posters

Posters: 156383 | Bands: 135985 | Designers: 11550                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Comments

Default Best way to align 2 sides of stock.

I'm printing business cards for the first time next week by printing an A1 sheet with the image copied across it and then intend to chop it with a guillotine.

Obviously i need to also print a reverse onto the same stock, and it has to be relatively precise. Can anyone suggest a method of aligning the reverse print with the front print? Can't seem to 'logically' figure it out without the use of registration marks.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

i always design and print so my cut marks full bleed off the edge of the paper. that way i can eye it and line it up easily when i print the other side. if it's being real tricky i'll also mark my table and then line up to that.

Comments

Yeah, that'd work if i wasn't using such a large sheet of paper. Paper is A1+ the print will be A2, since i don't have a big enough scooper to coat the screen from side to side (Screen is 35" by 29"). I'm giving myself as much leeway as possible by having a massive margin around the cut area (wasted paper, i know) but it works out cheaper for me to buy A1+ than A2+

I'm thinking maybe placing my registration tabs very tight on 2 corners, maybe even all 4 corners and then printing right up to the corner of one side and then flipping it and placing the screen in the opposite corner to the very edge. i'm worried logic will fail me and i'l flip the paper the wrong way and end up with the reverse of the business cards being upside down haha.

Was hoping for a good trick!

Premium Member

Comments

Maybe I'm missing something but three point registration should work fine.

Pencil in your trim marks on both sides of the paper you register your screen to.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_tuffy View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but three point registration should work fine.

Pencil in your trim marks on both sides of the paper you register your screen to.

Comments

Keep the 3 point reg, don't add any extras that will only screw you up. When you flip the sheet over you keep the same corner you started with. So if it was bottom right for the corner reg, that moves to the bottom left when you flip it.

Print crop/reg marks while printing the image on both sides. When it comes time to print the second side, take a pin and stab it through the paper to see where you crop/reg landing.

It's easy don't make it more complicated than it needs to be

Premium Member

Comments

what he said
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

you can do work and turn and only use one screen, but that might get too complicated to 'splain on here.

Super fucking easy way, and you can just keep printing once you are done the first side.

oh, and WTF A2 A3?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

I ran out of film on my roll, so i'm stuck using the box of A3 films i have lying around, may as well use them for something.
    And yeah, having a bigger paper size means my squeegee wont have to roll over the registration tabs.

Comments

Yeah essentially, this is almost impossible to do on a huge piece of paper, if i reg my screen to the first printed side, no matter how i flip it over or what corner it's registered to, it will never align unless i printed the first side slap bang in the middle.

If i register to the top left corner, then flip the paper, the screen is registered to the opposite corner of the paper, no matter how you align the first side with the second side's screen, i can't logically see a way to then flip it and it be in register.

With penciling my trim marks on both sides, i dont understand how that would be possible to get perfectly right? Unless the paper was see-through in some way, there's no way to do it. The paper is 750 microns, 600gsm, so even with my exposure unit, light can't shine through.

Sticking a pin through is my next option. failing the accuracy of that i'll probably trim the paper to the size of the image, then scrap the reg marks altogether (cut them off) that way, it can't go out of reg, as it'll just be an A3 block.

Am i missing something here?

EDIT, here are both my sides printed, it took one pull of the reverse for me to realise it wouldn't be inline with the other side. Might help understand the difficulties here.

I also made this diagram:

Last edited by SplitEar; 07-18-2014 at 07:49 AM.