Gig Posters

Posters: 154807 | Bands: 134864 | Designers: 11468                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Thoughts on GOCCOPRO 100?

Can anyone provide useful insight on digital thermal screen makers, specifically the GOCCOPRO 100 (http://www.riso.co.jp/english/product/goccopro100)? I'm researching at the request of an employer and want to get the dirt on whether the process actually works/is worth it.

Comments

I have a riso digital duplicator, and this looks similar to the master system that machine uses. So, it looks like a direct to screen system... but, I've never seen one like this with a paper stencil.

Personally, I think it looks like a pain if you're doing multicolor work.

I hear they're only 11" wide as well.

Comments

That thing looks like it would be a nightmare for multicolor jobs! No way to ensure all the screens are at the same tension, or that they're not skewed in one direction or the other. You can see skew lines on the screen while he's stretching at 2:43, and a pinch when he flicks it with his finger at 2:57.

And then at the end, he cuts the mesh out with a box cutter and throws it in the trash! Unless the consumables are dirt cheap (and I suspect they're not), I have my doubts that you're saving any money using something like this. A printed 13x19" film and a thin coat of emulsion sets you back what, two bucks?

Comments
    Items for Sale

I think Gocco/Riso made a lot of customers unhappy by discontinuing/stopping support of some of their older products. I would be hesitant to invest in other stuff from them.

I manage a successful printing company that solely uses the goccopro. Haters gonna hate. Lets first dive into the difference between traditional screen printing and the goccopro printing. Traditional printing takes a week to produce a screen not to mention the harsh chemicals. I'm talking nose bleeds through the respirator and burning eyes. Ok you got the screen, oh no! The screen is messed up, add on another week to make a new screen. I print out the screens in less than a minute. Oh no a mistake, reprint a new one. easy. I can do a job same day, and without the labor costs associated with exposing washing and letting dry the traditional way. You still get the same end product. Don't knock it till you try it. Muticolor jobs are a piece of cake. I have printed 6 colors with no problems.I stand by my machine 100%. Sure it's expensive to start with but it pays off, much like buying a press. You pay thousands but it pays off. There are secrets and tips to this like everything else. People quit when they find one little problem instead of finding a solution. You can't rely on "hear say" to make a decision. I have a great relationship with XPRESSSCREEN. I have been a pioneer in the exploration of this Goccopro's abilities. They look to me to find and fix potential problems. Have a problem? Ask. I have probably encountered it and solved it. "One person said that it distorts the image when you put the mesh in the frames." yes some of the early early machines did have that problem but that has since been resolved. It was an issue with the gears and belt. I had that problem, I informed XPRESSCREEN about it, and they sent me a brand new machine. I have been running this thing for 2 years now without any issue. Traditional screen printing is a thing of the past. Why would you dig a hole with a shovel if you have a backhoe? Goccopro is the way of the future.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Boteeteea View Post
    Traditional printing takes a week to produce a screen
    What?

Comments

My thoughts exactly.

Even without a temp-drying cabinet it takes about (at longest) 5 mins to print film, 5 mins for it to dry, 10mins to expose, 20 mins to dry.
    My screen supplier can ship me a fresh one next day stretched and ready, all it needs is a little de-grease..

These direct to screen machines seem just irrelevant.. and the size of the screen it makes is tiny, couldn't do half my orders with something that small.

Quote Originally Posted by jonkeefe View Post
    What?

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Boteeteea View Post
    Why would you dig a hole with a shovel if you have a backhoe?
    Alternatively, why buy an armored tank when all you need to do is kill a spider?

As others have noted, the one week to coat/dry/burn/dry a screen is (pardon my French) malarkey. It takes a few hours at most, in between which you can get everything else ready for the print run (and/or prep other screens, cutting said time in half or thirds or however far math goes). And if you get nose bleeds while working with a respirator, you're using it incorrectly.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Man, the spam is getting PRET-TY sophisticated around these parts.

Premium Member

Comments

I started to read this thread but then darnit! my eyes started bleeding again