Gig Posters

Posters: 160976 | Bands: 139251 | Designers: 11767                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Registration system for vertical printing

Hello Forum!

Long time lurker first time poster...

I was wondering if anyone had ideas for a vertical registration system for printing text on walls in a museum.

In the past I have used paint sticks or T squares and painters taped them onto the wall to line the screen up to.

It works pretty good but I am looking for something a little more professional and more solid. The tape can flex a bit.

thank you in advance,

Erik

Comments

Line up the film to where it needs to be on the wall. Line up the screen to the film. Add tape to the outer edge on the screen frame so the tape is half on the wall and half on your screen frame (draws some lines for reg on the tape if you wish). Cut tape so half remains on wall and half remains on frame. Remove the film from the wall. Place the screen back on the wall so the tap registration is lined up. Print. Remember that a large screen will stretch quite a bit while printing.

There's no good way to do this as one person you need 2 people minimum. Usually it's a 3 person job, two hold one printing.

Premium Member

Comments

thanks!

I think i understand what you mean.

Do you just use painters tape? or something else?

I need to be able to take the screen off the wall and replace it back in exactly the same position as before.

The tape system is registration by eye right? is there a way to do it by feel? like flat stock printing?

thanks

Erik

Comments

Masking tape or painter tape. Yes it's by eye. We usually bring a wood frame and shims to hold the screen in place so we can mess around but nothing beats the eyeballs for the registration. I have done this where it's screwed a block of wood to the wall to hold the screen but usually that's more work than is needed unless the screen is high up the wall.
    Keep in mind that walls are rarely flat so big images can be problematic. Too much orange peel paint texture can be a pain as well.

Premium Member

Comments

Just get vinyl lettering cut at your local sign shop. It's super easy to install, looks like its painted on and can be removed without damaging the wall or having to repaint it if you use the proper stuff. It's easier and way more cost efficient than burning a bunch of screens and screwing around with the registration.

Premium Member

Comments

It's a job for a Museum that requires Screen Printing.

Comments

Erik. Be sure to bring a little brushes for touchup. You can pm me if you wish since we're both in Brooklyn and I just did a wall job last week I'm curious what you're up to.

Premium Member

Comments

HI Squeegeethree,

I tried to pm you but it says your mailbox is full...

Comments

rectified

My neighbors and I looked into making a vacuum assist suction bar for this. Very strong vacuum, suckers mounted to an aluminum bar with a notch at one edge. Clamp the bar to the bottom of the screen, position screen, vac bar to wall, unclamp screen, ink up screen, reposition on bar, 2 people hold screen, print.

....... the big problem with this was- a vac powerful enough to deliver the right holding power was gonna be a 220 high amp beast. So, we abandoned the idea.

One could make some sort of scaffolding easel on wheels with a movable cross bar.

But all these ideas require a lot of work to achieve, and I think you're better off using Luther's tape method in the end. The physics and mechanicals avenues to go down are just not worth the R&D unless you do this all the damn time.