Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135238 | Designers: 11484                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Printing transparencies.

I'm having a hell of a time finding someone to print positive transparencies for me.
    I'm doing a poster 20" x 26" and I can't find anybody in town who will print on clear acetate.
    I found a couple of firms who do film positives @ $80 a piece. Is that just what it costs?
    None of the blueprint companies in town print on clear medium anymore. They all tell me they stopped, or they switched machinery.
    I've gone through all the regular printers. Googled "large format printers" and worked through those.
    Am I looking in the wrong place? Is $80 what I'll have to spend?
    Is there someone online I can order transparencies from?
    Thanks for your help.

Premium Member

Comments

I ran into the same problem recently. I found a place here in Dayton Ohio called Fleet Graphics and they were able to do a 18"x18" film for me for 20.00 per sheet. They double printed them and they were super nice and dark. I would look into them and see what they would charge you for that size.

Premium Member
    Comments

I have used Exile tech, they use to be called Oyo. They make thermal printers. They charge by the foot. I can't remember the exact price but it was cheap. Just go to their website and click on the contact link and e mail them.
    Exile Technologies Home Page

Comments

oversized (blueprint) copier at kinkos + Baby oil = Donezo

Premium Member

Comments

These guys will do them for like $10 Screen Printer's Transparency - SkylineArtEditions.com

Thanks for the help!
    I ended up finding someone nearby (45 min.) to print the tran.s in two pieces.
    I'll try Skyline Art for the next poster. A third what it cost me this time.

I click on the link and saw my work and than I realized that my friend runs that place and that is where I get my film for all my poster prints made. Those guy are pretty nice and do a good job. The best way to find someone who can print transparency in your town is to call a screen printer up and ask them. We always recommend people to a place if the film they need is too big for our printer. Good luck.

Premium Member

Comments

This

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Liberti View Post
    oversized (blueprint) copier at kinkos + Baby oil = Donezo

Premium Member

Comments

Ditto Kinkos + baby oil.

It really works great for the majority of gig posters made. If you get into high LPI halftones, superfine detail, and/or unforgiving registration, that's when you really need film. Besides running the errand and adding one more little step plus a brief bit of downtime to the process, it's by far the best quality-per-dollar that many of us have found. I moved on to a sweet Epson but oilies worked great for the couple years I used em.

Make it simple for the poor bastards that work at Kinkos. I used to have a USB drive with two folders: "KINKOS" and "NOT KINKOS". In the KINKOS folder were the seps I needed printed that day and absolutely nothing else. Hand it over and say you "need some prints on the plotter." (Some people refer to it as the "architectural plotter" around here still.) They may ask if you want crop marks or anything. You may want to tell them they need to be actual size / 100% just so (for example) they rotate a 18" x 24" separation rather than reduce to 98% to fit landscape on a 24" roll. They'll be a couple bucks a piece.

When you're back at your workspace, use a nonporous surface or cover table with vinyl etc. (so the excess oil doesn't soak in). Lay down a sep, squirt some regular old baby oil on it, and push it around with a rag (tee shirt material is good, you want something smoothish and not linty). Once you've covered the whole side, flip it over and do the same. You'll quickly get a feel for how much oil you need. Doesn't take a ton.

Then put the sep between two sheets of kraft or the blank side of make ready or something, pat down that lil sandwich, and let the 'bread' parts soak up some of the oil for a few minutes. The idea is to make the bond paper evenly soaked/translucent but not dripping with oil. Then you're ready to burn. Don't forget to clean your glass regularly so you don't leave baby oil all up in yer exposure set up.
    bakerprints.com | BP GP | BP twatter | BP facespace
    Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Kyle travels through time to help people. What the fuck do you do?