Gig Posters

Posters: 155629 | Bands: 135530 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Thread: Cutting circles

Comments

Default Cutting circles

Hey folks,

It looks like we'll be taking a job that involves cutting circles of paper. The basic idea is a miniature (3x3") LP jacket, with a removable paper circle that contains a download code for an album. Cutting the jackets will be tedious, but we're pretty sure we're up to the task -- nothing that a ruler and an x-acto can't handle.

The little paper records, though, are another story. What's the easiest way to cut nice, clean circles out of 110# paper? Craft/scrapbooking stores have all kinds of little gadgets for doing this, and I realized just now that if you use an x-acto instead of a pencil, even a compass from a geometry set would maybe work.

We'd rather do the work ourselves instead of trying to find some place with a die cutter -- it's only going to be around 100 circles, and since the jackets are 3x3", the circles would have to be slightly smaller (say 2.75-2.9"), which die cutting places might not have on hand anyway.

TL;DR. How does everyone cut their circles?

Premium Member
    Comments
    I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like... - Syd

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Laser cut.

At this point many if not most decent consumer-level graphics/printing places can do it in house.
    It is much cheaper and simpler than diecutting just 100 of something.

If you do the work yourselves with an exacto and a template, you'll be all DIY and shit... but doing it is going to suck. Hard. And the results will look...DIY. If you know what I mean.

Comments

Lasers! Who knew...

Thanks, guys! DIY is cool unless it looks like a 5th grader's art project... which is what an x-acto strapped to a compass would probably look like

Premium Member

Comments

I can attest to the laser. The sign shop I work at has one and we do so much ridiculous stuff with it. Most of the smaller ones can be set low enough to cut paper with no visible burn marks and they're really fast and cheap to run.

Comments

We ended up using a Fiskars brand circle cutter from Michaels. Dulled three blades over the course of cutting 111 discs. Maybe 10 of the discs were cut all the way through; the rest of them, the blade just scored the top and we had to finish off with scissors. Not perfect, but good enough for government work.

Also, thick cotton rag really doesn't like being folded.

Premium Member

Comments

That's sick looking. Good job, man.

I have probably the same Fiskars circle cutter that you do (also from Michael's) and it's a giant pain in the ass to use. You made it work, though, so more power to ya.