Gig Posters

Posters: 153003 | Bands: 133712 | Designers: 11371                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Drying Rack too small. Tips?

Hey All,
    Question for the lot of you. I've recently moved studios but the drying rack in the new one is half the size of the one in my last studio. New one holds about a 100 prints. I have 2 jobs coming up that are both editions of 200+ & I typically print all by my lonesome.

I am trying to figure out a way to avoid needing to stop for ages in the middle of every color to empty the rack (I figure waiting time, screen drying up etc would about double my printing time). FYI my rack is one of the standard hinged fence looking ones and unfortunately has VERY little clearance between shelves, so i dont think sliding prints into the bottom on the second go round is an option.

Anyone have any tips?

Premium Member

Comments

Hey Adam, when you get to the end of the rack you should be able to gently place the next 100 on top of the already racked ones. Just be sure to keep a fan blowing (gently) directly onto the rack. Let me just say rack one more time. Rack.

Premium Member

Comments

yep, once you fill it up, slide it in the front of each closed rack one side at a time, you can fit another 100 then even another 50 at least after that. I do it often.

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks guys... But yeah i think the rack trouble is going to be that this rack in particular has super tight clearance between the rack levels ("rack" count:4) I'd say about a quarter of an inch. so i think i might f up the wet ink trying to slide it in a such a tight rack gap. the rack also sags a bit in the middle.
    I'm normally not opposed to small rack gaps but i defiantly in this case a much wider rack gap would be better.
    a saggy rack is never much fun.

Premium Member

Comments

If the problem is that you might scratch the wet ink, make a pre-drying station where you set fresh prints off to the side until they are dry enough to touch. Then slide them in the rack.

Comments

Can you add something to the bottom of the rack to increase the gap a bit?

Premium Member

Comments

the droid has a decent idea. Place shims on the corners to increase the lift/space between the leaves. Hang your prints over the front edge slightly. then when you start shoving the secnd round of prints in, they can just slide on the print undeneath (which needs to be DRY doh!)

and I didn't say rack once....er once.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

Dependin on the type and your print, you might be able to gently lift all the leaves at the end. the prints should be OK as long as there is a lip at the back to stop them sliding out. Then you can just flip each down like you were starting over, and lay the 2nd round of prints on the dry ones underneath
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Ok, here's a better method.
    Whenever you put a print in a rack it should be hanging out the front of the rack about 1.5 inches.
    When it comes time to unrack you don't lift up the racks.
    You put one of the dangling papers between each finger and unrack 5 prints at a time (with practice you can unrack 6-8 sheets at a time).
    Unracking this way takes the time down to about 1-2 minutes per rack

Premium Member

Comments

We use this method all the time. I like it too because if you print a dud, you push it in. So you can unrack quick, and also separate your shitterz so you have setup sheets for the next colours without sacrificing good ones.

But this doesn't help him with the one rack problem.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.