Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135338 | Designers: 11496                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser printer

Default Laser printer

Hello everyone,
    I own a Lexmark E120 but it's broken. I wonder what else I could get ?
    I dont need a huge printer, it's for small home project. I got a samsung one today and it doesnt work.
    When I print, it's always the same result (no dots). When I print with a frequency of 55 lines/inches it look the same as a 80 lines/inches. Just wonder what kind of laser printer do you use for small DIY home project ? Or which characteristic I should look for?

Thank you

Comments

Haha, who buys a Samsung printer?
    I wouldn't buy ANY laser printer either.
    Epson Inkjet
    EOM

Comments

Unless you are using an inkjet frequently the nozzles will clog. At $20-$50 for a new tube it can get expensive and you never even printed anything.

Ebay can snag you a very good HP for less than $100 delivered. I like laserjets with networking cards and duplexers. No, they do not coat film that great... but you can get sprays that help.

I have not had any significant issues with laser printed film... but I have not tried half tones... just more of less solid artwork.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

So take care of your inkjet printer and fire it up every once in a while if it's idle.

The thing about laser printers and transparency film is, laser printers produce heat and heat distorts acetate. Therefore your positives won't register reliably to one another. That's all well and good if what you are doing is single-color tshirts or loose designs where registration is a non issue, but if you need any kind of tightness, or, God forbid, you are trying to tile up multiple smaller positives... deal breaker.

Comments

Reading is fundamental:

From the OP:

"Just wonder what kind of laser printer do you use for small DIY home project ?"

If you need professional results, by the deity of your choice get a professional printer.

Just putzing around and figuring things out? Get a laser than can move to your front office if you do take off and need an inkjet.

One other possibility is a print shop that will print your film. I'm surprised that no one has a $5 service for that.

Comments

What crosshair said 100%

Comments

For a home DIY project (two people can't read?) why spend $70 for an inkjet that will be thrown out? Get a good ebay laser that you can actually use after your project.

If you were going to be an 'all gown up printer' then yes, invest in quality tools. But inkjets suck. The nozzles WILL CLOG in unused and you will not want to spend $50 for ink in a $70 printer.

Comments

I never had my nozzles clog. If you want to make films that aren't black and that will never line up 100% because of the heat generated by output then by all means by a laser printer.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by wwii_inks View Post
    For a home DIY project (two people can't read?) why spend $70 for an inkjet that will be thrown out? Get a good ebay laser that you can actually use after your project.

If you were going to be an 'all gown up printer' then yes, invest in quality tools. But inkjets suck. The nozzles WILL CLOG in unused and you will not want to spend $50 for ink in a $70 printer.
    You DO APPEAR to be an asshat.

Here's the thing about knowledge dispensed by knowledgeable people in a public forum:
    It may go outside the questioner's brief. Because other people may search the forums later, with related though not identical questions. And the more solid information they find, the more useful it is. Meanwhile the OP is probably quite capable of determining whether a given response applies to their situation and needs or not. And if it's yours, you will know because you will receive a lovely personal thank-you card from the OP, thanking you personally for solving his problem, and remarking how useless the other responders were. I know; I have a fucking desk full of the things. Around the holidays I reap mailbags full of cards from hapless printers whose asses I've saved, with pictures of their kids. Sometimes checks even slip out of them. That's why I bother wasting my time, answering strangers' technical questions on GP fucking dot com when I should be working.

If you throw your ink jet printer out when your nozzles clog, then yes, inkjets are a giant waste of money.
    But normal people just push the head cleaning button and move on with their day.

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Sometimes checks even slip out of them. That's why I bother wasting my time, answering strangers' technical questions on GP fucking dot com when I should be working.
    LOL. I love when checks slip out of envelopes. It's so shexy.