Gig Posters

Posters: 154402 | Bands: 134582 | Designers: 11434                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Natural inks and paints recipes

Hi
    I got a major problem where i live in the country side . I got no sewer system . All my dirty water is dumped directly in nature .
    So far i've been carrying the water from my workshop to a recycle plant in the closest city .
    This is a big pain in the ass .
    So since a lots of the posters i print are mostly my own art or are used to promote the gigs i book . I thought i could make my own ink with natural recipient . It doesn't really matter that i won't get all the colors from the pantone guide .
    Does anyone ever make his own ink or paint for screenprinting based on natural ingredient ?
    And by natural i also means not polluting .
    Thanx

Premium Member

Comments

Could you do some sort of waste water filtration? Evaporation?
    You are using water-based inks, right?

Premium Member

Comments

if you are using waterbased inks, the ink is not the problem, it's the reclaiming and the old emulsion - this can mostly be removed from your waste water with filtration and then thrown out when it hardens into regular garbage.

I have read recipes for screen inks - maybe try

Home although I don't know if the wallpaper paste ink will stand up to the outdoors
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

To Crosshair : Yeah i use water base ink . But i can't see a way of evaporating the water . And i don't know what you mean by waste water filtration .
    Do you mean i could filtrate the water before dumping it in the nature ?

To Andy Mac : The fact is i use house paint , acrylics and sometimes screenprinting inks . I thought all of those are made out of chemicals . Plus for the screenprinting ink i use retarder , at least i'm sure i can't throw ink mixed with retarder .
    Can you tell me what water based inks are made of in general or at least the one you use ?

Thanx

Premium Member

Comments

Acrylic (TW) i think most are this.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Comments

But what are they made of ? what's the components of TW ?

Premium Member

Comments

You may want to e-mail Sean Ingram: GigPosters.com - Comments - Neko Case - John Rauhouse & His Nw All Stars He printed this poster with food (pea soup & tomato soup--I think). Since it sounds like your runs are smaller maybe something in this vein could work.

Also, a year or two ago I met up with Friedhard Kiekeben who is extremely well versed and committed to non-toxic printmaking. Here's his website. Also, he was very friendly friendly and I bet if you e-mailed him your specific questions he may have info and possible resources in Europe. Check his dense list of info in left column on website.

nontoxic paint + print resource | Nontoxic Printmaking & Printing | Safe Painting and Paints

nontoxicprint | 'Nontoxic' Printmaking & Printed Art

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by silver mulet of death View Post
    But what are they made of ? what's the components of TW ?
    http://www.twgraphics.com/MSDS/TW%20...500%20MSDS.pdf

this is the ink we use, also some speedball. This also doesn't list the minerals used in the pigments and probably other components that are non-hazardous/organic in nature (like water)

When dan talks about filtration, this is one of the main ways to take foreign material out of the wastewater stream. You can eliminate 99% of ink by taping out and scraping before cleaning and pulling the tape at the end.
    the resultant water that you use to clean the last of the ink residue can collect in a bucket, it shouldn't be more than a gallon.
    If you let this sit for a day, most of the solid particulate and pigments will settle. This water could be carefully poured off and through a paper filter to remove what is left. this water could be used in further reclaiming, or used to water some flowers, or be allowed to evaporate, which would remove all foreign material.

For your washout chems, it is a different story, but the same principals hold true. Minimize the amount and the water used, collect that water, let it settle, and then filter it. Because you would probably use more water in this step, a tank with baffles and then filtration could be constructed.

or check out that page with the wallpaper paste ink. near the end of the article, he says for permanence, add acrylic - I'd rather just start with decent ink and minimize usage.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Thanx a lot . i Will write him .

Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    You may want to e-mail Sean Ingram: GigPosters.com - Comments - Neko Case - John Rauhouse & His Nw All Stars He printed this poster with food (pea soup & tomato soup--I think). Since it sounds like your runs are smaller maybe something in this vein could work.

Also, a year or two ago I met up with Friedhard Kiekeben who is extremely well versed and committed to non-toxic printmaking. Here's his website. Also, he was very friendly friendly and I bet if you e-mailed him your specific questions he may have info and possible resources in Europe. Check his dense list of info in left column on website.

nontoxic paint + print resource | Nontoxic Printmaking & Printing | Safe Painting and Paints

nontoxicprint | 'Nontoxic' Printmaking & Printed Art

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    http://www.twgraphics.com/MSDS/TW%20...500%20MSDS.pdf

this is the ink we use, also some speedball. This also doesn't list the minerals used in the pigments and probably other components that are non-hazardous/organic in nature (like water)

When dan talks about filtration, this is one of the main ways to take foreign material out of the wastewater stream. You can eliminate 99% of ink by taping out and scraping before cleaning and pulling the tape at the end.
    the resultant water that you use to clean the last of the ink residue can collect in a bucket, it shouldn't be more than a gallon.
    If you let this sit for a day, most of the solid particulate and pigments will settle. This water could be carefully poured off and through a paper filter to remove what is left. this water could be used in further reclaiming, or used to water some flowers, or be allowed to evaporate, which would remove all foreign material.

For your washout chems, it is a different story, but the same principals hold true. Minimize the amount and the water used, collect that water, let it settle, and then filter it. Because you would probably use more water in this step, a tank with baffles and then filtration could be constructed.

or check out that page with the wallpaper paste ink. near the end of the article, he says for permanence, add acrylic - I'd rather just start with decent ink and minimize usage.
    I guess i have to build a system where i collect the dirty water i use to clean inks into a 1000 liters container , so the residue can settle . Then pomp the filtered water to clean my screens again with it .
    I would use another container for the water i use for reclaiming .
    I guess i have too figure out a system to filter the dirty water .
    I just wonder how many screens i could wash with the same water
    And i will defenetly experiment with natural ingredients to make my own ink for some jobs
    Anyway thanks again for all the advice . You all kick ass .