Gig Posters

Posters: 154432 | Bands: 134592 | Designers: 11436                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default No Spec Work. No Crowdsourcing - but what if the proceeds go to charity?

I know everyone's feelings regarding spec work & crowd sourcing but what if it was all for charity?

I came across this site - The Big Picture | Corbis Design for a Cause Contest - and you have to design a poster in support for a charity of your choice using one or more images provided by Corbis.

The outcome if you win, is the charity you designed for gets a 1000 donation...

However, corbis obviously get their images out there and the designer gets their work featured in various magazines / exposure blah blah blah.

Is this just Spec work / crowdsourcing or is it a bit more morally acceptable to designers?

Thoughts?...

Premium Member

Comments

Who owns the art that doesn't win, once it is submitted?

Seems to me, if all these artists took the cost of their materials and time and simply donated it in cash to a worthy charity of their choice, it would raise a hell of a lot more than 1000...

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Who owns the art that doesn't win, once it is submitted?

Snap.

Grant of Rights: By entering a Submission, you grant Sponsor, its affiliates and sponsors, the irrevocable and perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide right to assign, use, publish, edit, adapt, modify, alter, reproduce, distribute, broadcast, display, copyright, create derivative works in any media now known or hereinafter developed, for commercial or non-commercial use, and without compensation to you.

By entering the Contest, each entrant waives any and all rights he or she may have to the Submission including any so-called moral rights to demand that they are credited as the author whenever the Submission is reproduced and to complain and claim damages if the image is subjected to derogatory treatment.

Premium Member

Comments

Unless Corbis donates all profits they make from the submitted entries (& future sale of those images through their catalog) I don't see why anyone would participate. Not only are they getting free work which they will then make money licensing out, they can use your ideas & redo or re-treat in diff mediums for the same outcome.

Here's the most important line in their submission rules:

5. Grant of Rights: By entering a Submission, you grant Sponsor, its affiliates and sponsors, the irrevocable and perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide right to assign, use, publish, edit, adapt, modify, alter, reproduce, distribute, broadcast, display, copyright, create derivative works in any media now known or hereinafter developed, for commercial or non-commercial use, and without compensation to you.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by iamthesleepwalker View Post
    I know everyone's feelings regarding spec work & crowd sourcing but what if it was all for charity?

I came across this site - The Big Picture | Corbis Design for a Cause Contest - and you have to design a poster in support for a charity of your choice using one or more images provided by Corbis.

The outcome if you win, is the charity you designed for gets a 1000 donation...

However, corbis obviously get their images out there and the designer gets their work featured in various magazines / exposure blah blah blah.

Is this just Spec work / crowdsourcing or is it a bit more morally acceptable to designers?

Thoughts?...