Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135529 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no sink/tub

Premium Member

Comments

Default no sink/tub

Hey all - I found the perfect studio - but... it isn't perfect. No water. Gggrrrrr. Any creative ideas about how to wash screens out without a tub? I'm thinking buckets of water, windex? I dunno. There is a shared sink in the hallway but it is in no way set up to clean screens.
    I looked for some creative ideas on the forums and the closest I got was to use windex?
    I know most of you wouldn't even take this space but, seriously, everything else about it is ideal for me.

Thanks ahead for any creative ideas you might have.
    Kate

Premium Member

Comments

Nearby carwash's power washer?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Everything else may be perfect but if there's no water... keep looking. It is not practical as print studio. Any workaround you find is going to become a huge waste of time and money in the long run.

This is kind of like the silkscreen equivalent of "I just found the perfect new boyfriend except he has genital herpes and refuses to use a condom. What should I do?"

Premium Member

Comments

I should add I am more concerned with being able to clean the screen right after exposing it.

Premium Member

Comments

Thank you for your honest input. I know it's a bad choice but in my mind, this space is a temporary solution. I am sharing it with another artist. My plan is to move to a different studio in the same location when one becomes available - one with plumbing.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

you need water. I use to run down 2 flights of stairs with a screen wrapped in black cloth to rinse after exposing.

I got sick of that and moved.

Now I got my wash out area 5 paces from my vac table and expo unit. Also Now I have a beer fridge as well.

Comments

Can't you screw up a garden hose to the shared sink in the hallway?

Premium Member

Comments

There's a lot of stuff you can kinda round up to what you want when you're looking for a space, but water is going to be a tough one...I'd hold out until you find the right spot, especially if you're thinking this one is temporary to begin with. The only thing a spot like this is going to be good for is having stories to tell people (after you're in a space that works) about how horrible you used to have it.

But, since you're asking, If you can't build out the shared sink (look for a double-utility sink on Craigslist or something cheap & easy to trade out) into something you can use to deal with screens, I guess I'd look to see if I could run a hose from the sink (get a faucet splitter thingy [technical term] if you don't want to constantly unhook & hook up the hose) over to a spot in your studio with (ideally) a floor drain. And then only use it for light work like washing out your stencils...do all the power washer stuff at a car wash until you get sick of that and move into whatever space you should probably just move into in the first place.
    I work at Landland, Mpls Our website On Facebook On this thing

Comments

I live in the countryside in a very isolated spot . i got water but no sewer system . Which means i have to carry to the recycling in the nearby city a big 60 liters barrel of dirty water everytime i do a 3 colors job . Plus another 60 l barrel everytime i want to reclaim 3 screens . And another barrel to clean the stencil off the 3 screens . It's such a pain in the ass . I really wonder if i would have move there if i knew it in the first place . But i only pay 100 euros for my 80 meter square workshop and my house plus 5000 meters square of land and we have a venue inside the barn where we book gigs once a month . So i guess it's worth going to the city to empty my water .
    But still i can't print sometimes since i'm depending on other people to help me carry the water and they are not always here to help.
    You better look for a place with water and a sewer system or if possible install a water and sewer system yourself .

Premium Member

Comments

We built a washout sink from an old shower stall at the school 2 years ago (they wouldn't let us build in), then had a water hose to it. Drained into large pail, and then dumped the pail in the sink after. that worked for exposure, but for reclaiming, we had to go outside the building. I have used the car wash years back. It all sucks.

You need water. having said that, if you have another place to make and reclaim screens you can do it, and just clean your ink into a bucket at the print shop after a run. I do this all the time when i print onsite at gigs or shows.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.