Gig Posters

Posters: 154962 | Bands: 135070 | Designers: 11471                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Gary Houston & the Bosses of Peoples: art opening @ Peoples

Peoples Art of Portland, Po Boy Art/Jason Brown, and Chris Haberman presents…

"Four On The Floor”
    The works of Ali Schlicting, Chris Haberman, Gary Houston and Jason Brown
    Reception: Saturday, October 20th - 5-9pm.
    Show runs October 20th – November 11th .
    Peoples Gallery is open Thurs-Sunday, NOON-6pm.
    Free beer by Burnside Brewery.
    Sonic innovation by DJ Adam B Vitamin (Adam Bailey)

FEATURE GALLERY: This month at Peoples Art of Portland Gallery, we celebrate “Four On The Floor” the work of 4 of its central figures. Chris Haberman and Jason Brown started the gallery in November, 2010, and are known for many years of collaborative art and curatorial projects. Ali Schlicting debuted as artist in the gallery in 2011, and becoming manager in 2012. Gary Houston was the first artist to be featured in the gallery in its very first show. These 4 artists, collaboratively and individually, provide hundreds of works to this show, examining folk and fine art, poster and primalism, surrealism and a gritty illustrative realism. (More info below).

POD GALLERY: We are also hosting the traveling show, The Reimagination Project, political posters in support of the Obama campaign, 15 collaborative works by paired artists and writers of the Pacific Northwest, including a poem by Tess Gallagher. (More info below)

view and purchase posters here.

The Goodfoot » Page not found

Ali Schlicting

Ali grew up in Portland, OR during the turn of the 21st century. It was a bold time. A time of growth in technology, information and egg sandwiches with pancakes for bread. Ali was born to make art. As the daughter, grandchild and sister of painters, she grew up watching people create and sell art (her father is Oregon based painter Mike Schlicting, and her mother is Stephanie Wiarda, long-time gallery owner for Beppu-Wiarda.) In spite of all this she decided to become an artist herself. Ali works mostly in acrylic paint on recycled wood boards, for both ecological thoughtfulness and economics. Her images are influenced by the diversity of the Oregon landscape, patterns, mythology and her inexpert but well-intentioned environmentalism. She lives and works in Portland, Oregon.

Chris Haberman

Chris Haberman is a working artist and curator native to Portland, Oregon. All of his artwork is created from recycled objects, found material from the streets and alleyways of his hometown. A discarded cabinet door or table top quickly becomes the backdrop for an integrated puzzle-poem of figures and text, focusing on subjects like people, politics, the region, pop-culture, media, music, film and literature. Mayor Sam Adams has said that “Chris is the hardest working artist in Portland.” Chris’ first curatorship was a show for Adams in City Hall of Portland, Oregon, (Portland Pride, 2007).

Gary Houston

Long time Portland based Gary Houston, is well known as the “Blues Fest” poster artist of Portland and for his illustration company, Voodoo Catbox. Posters at Voodoo Catbox are pretty much hand made using traditional methods i.e. scratch board illustration or hand cut rubylith, and then hand pulled.

Jason Brown
    Jason is a prolific painter and long-time curator of The Goodfoot (since 2000). Brown writes, “Painting is my vessel of communication. Art becomes a social and personal dialectic for me aimed at resolving inner and public conflict while simultaneously celebrating humanity. Through irony, humor, bold and subtle imagery I convey my vision on to others. I place my characters in settings where the rooftops of society have been cut off, and their idiosyncrasies become their vulnerabilities. By utilizing perspective I place my characters into a realm that seems comfortable and inviting, but contains certain disjointed qualities. My characters explode out of their setting while remaining stoic, as though they are unaffected by their environment. (A petty thief that steals the tip of a waitress left on the bar by a previous patron - the meat market patrons with their robust, crazed egos manipulating the masses with their decedent carnage). Some have suggested that my work has a masculine perspective, but I certainly do not represent or embody the masculine viewpoint. Ultimately, I paint individuals transfixed by their struggle, at times framing the daily lives of "Martyred Saints", "Super humans" that have routines and transgressions just as anyone else. (The musician who forgets he is mortal for a brief second and the lightning bolt of god touches his forehead, knighting this saint a forbearer of humanity - the husband who goes into a strip bar for directions, and is coincidentally spotted by his wife.) I am intrigued by the situational moments that could be explained, but the individual finds himself trapped by the circumstances. Through observation and perspective I make an earnest attempt at painting the honesty of humanity.”

ReImagination Project :

In our poster pod area, we present a project launched by Portland artist Angelina Marino-Heidel. A large group of artists and writers of the Pacific Northwest were paired together to create 15 posters in support of the Obama campaign. These text and image collaborations explore issues of social justice, positive change and environmental awareness. In the words of Marino-Heidel, “This project is in support of President Barack Obama. We offer these works as encouragement to him to keep his diligence in these auspicious times.” The collection features collaborative posters by west coast writers and artists for Obama: Leanne Grabel, Virgina Flynn, Carla Perry, Gina Wilson, Joel Heidel, Angelina Marino, Tim Barnes, Ilka Kuznik, Marica Barrentine, Judith Barrington, Valery McKee, Tess Gallagher, Alan Wieder, Joanie Krug, Stephen Sander, A. David Scharf, Elaine Nussbaum, Allan Oliver, Marjorie Power, Charles Erickson, Deborah Buchanan, Chris Haberman, Primus St. John and Lucinda Parker. More info:ReImagiNation Pdx. Portland writers and artists for Obama.

Special Reading and Cocktail Party by ReImagination poets/artists:
    Wednesday, October 24, 5-8pm. Peoples Gallery.

facebook event here

Ali Schlicting, Chris Haberman, Gary Houston and Jason Brown: art opening | Facebook

We'll have all the work from the show available online after the opening here
    The Goodfoot » Page not found

Peoples Art of Portland Gallery
    700 SW Fifth (3rd floor) People's is Suite 4005
    Settlement Galleries
    Pioneer Square Mall, downtown Portland
    open Thurs-Sun 12-6pm

Curated/Owned by:
    Chris Haberman: chrishabermanart@gmail.com
    Jason Brown: jbrown@poboyart.com
    Managed by:
    Ali Schlicting: schlictusalius@gmail.com

Always All Ages. In league with Settlement Galleries – Pioneer Place Mall. (Peoples Art of Portland, Place, and Mark Woolley). Refreshments provided by Burnside Brewing.
    Show Info: The Peoples Art of Portland
    Facebook: http://on.fb.me/oGMaqE

Peoples Art of Portland Gallery has been active since November 2010. It is a project of gallery spaces gifted to the curators from GGP, the management company for Pioneer Place Mall. Since its inception, the galleries have been well traveled, showing 1000’s of Portland artists in a very unique and professional setting. Annual shows include “The Love of Portland”, “The Big 200” and resident international poster artist, EMEK. We love the mall and its accessibility to anyone the open market place allows. Art doesn’t have to be hard to see, or backed by white walls, it can be simple in its beauty and cultural appeal – its as easy as walking into a mall.
    upcoming art events
    -------------------------
    Every Sun Drink & Draw - at the Goodfoot

Comments

opens sat
    few for the show

collab with Ali Schlicting and Jason Brown

collab with Chris Haberman and Jason Brown

Gary Houston

Comments

last weekend to see the show up. . comes down Sun.

you can view and purchase all of Gary Houston's work online here
    Goodfoot Gallery Presents: Gary Houston

collab with Ali Schlicting, Chris Haberman and Jason Brown

Gary Houston

OG

OG

OG

OG

OG

Comments

last day to see the show up

you can view and purchase all of Gary Houston's work online here