Gig Posters

Posters: 154460 | Bands: 134610 | Designers: 11442                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

A gickle is not evil or bad in and of itself. With full disclosure of the printing method to any buyer, it is a great way to reproduce multicolour or super subtle art work.

And I know people who print editions digitally, there is a lot more to it than push a button.

Just like screenprinting is a lot more than pull a squeegee.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Quote Originally Posted by ricv64 View Post
    How can a relatively new medium be called archival ? When paint finally was put into tubes they thought the colors would last but that hasn't always been the case . Whats up with these COA's too ?
    If I may. I'm an art dealer at Cook & Becker , a gallery dedicated to digitally made art & digital photography. Or to be precise, to artists who use digital tools (and who doesn't these days) but with the print as the intended final form of the artwork: original digital art prints as they are called in the Artbusiness article.

Our prints are Certified Art Giclees™ (a similar hallmark used to exist in the US but not anymore unfortunately). These prints are both lab tested in Germany for durability AND - very hands-on - they are laid out in the desert in Spain in the full sun to measure fading and cracking! If you want to know if you buy a really good giclee just ask for a lifetime warranty (we provide one

Giclee printing is indeed a form of inkjet printing. The quality difference between giclees can be enormous though. To make superior quality giclees takes a lot of skill just as with other printing techniques. It depends on the paper, the inks, the master printer... and when you mount the print, on the UV-coating, glues, glass or finish etc.

And I agree with another previous poster. This is the age of perfect mechanical reproduction & many in the artworld still need to find a way to deal with this yet. Strangely, people have accepted art photography but other digital art forms are still regarded differently.

Comments

No, it's an inkjet with tarted up marketing.

Giclée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jefmcc View Post
    No, it's an inkjet with tarted up marketing.
    I like this definition.

Comments

The answer to all questions comes down to intent. If the digital print is intended to be original and utilizing the digital technology thusly then it may be deemed original. If the intent to to exactly reproduce a pastel drawing, painting or whatever then it is at best a "original" reproduction.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    A gickle is not evil or bad in and of itself. With full disclosure of the printing method to any buyer, it is a great way to reproduce multicolour or super subtle art work.

And I know people who print editions digitally, there is a lot more to it than push a button.

Just like screenprinting is a lot more than pull a squeegee.
    EXACTLY. When you see a truly good giclee next to a bad one there is a world of difference. It's all about choosing the correct printing method to reproduce the image the best possible way that results are closest to the original.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I had a friend who showed up to a group show with some "limited edition digital prints" of her drawings. They were 8.5" x 11" color copies from Kinko's. I refused to include them.

Premium Member

Comments

Did you defriend her?
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

so... a screen print is not an original. i have been asked to sell originals, but they are on crap paper with corrugated edges. it's worth a lot to some, but i figure i leave it for my daughter in hopes it is worth more after i am dead.
    as far as living, money would be nice. so i guess i am asking, if i were to make a giclee for something specific for art AND profit, would y'all see me as a sell out? i'd rather not be, but seriously, i need money. i would do a 'limited print', would not be reproduced OR sold as 'original' - just like my screen prints.
    just curious.

Premium Member
    Comments

Gerhard Richter just solved all your problems....call your gickles paintings. He's got a show up at Marian Goodman right now...