Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135513 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default How much do you charge for a poster?

Hi everybody. I'm a noob at this whole gig poster thing and i was wondering how much should i charge for a design? I don't have a printing setup so i can't charge for prints.

i sold a local band a design for 150 and i don't if that is the standard rate.

also i have a bunch of premade designs already done. is it acceptable to pitch them to bands?

Comments

can we just sticky this thread to the top of the "Poster discussion" forum so a new thread on the subject doesn't pop up every other month?

To OP: Search forums.

Premium Member

Comments

Come on, take it easy on the new guy.

Rates vary wildly. I find it's best to ask them what budget they have for art, and then see if you can deal with that range. There is no real answer.

Pitching designs to bands is fine, but you'd probably be better off getting them to see your portfolio and having you make something specifically for them. I do have a back catalog of ideas, though, and if I'm approached by a band, I'll see if something fits, but I mostly make new art each time, and turn the old ideas into art prints, when I have the time.

There are no real 'rules' here, you have to find your own path.

I would make sure that you figure out who really 'owns' the design each time though- you don't want to give the rights to something completely away for a mere $150. That's shooting yourself in the foot.
    Yes. That is me wearing a Borat thong in my avatar.

My Portfolio site-
    www.mrdoyle.com
    My Retail site
    www.nakatomiinc.com

Comments

I agree with mr. Doyle, and always keep your original art if they don't ask for it. if they do, tell them it will up the price a bit... depending on the situation...
    interestingly enough, for ALMOST every commission I've done, they never ask for the original inks/pencils, so I have a HUGE "markive" of original art.

Premium Member

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by marklone View Post
    I agree with mr. Doyle, and always keep your original art if they don't ask for it. if they do, tell them it will up the price a bit... depending on the situation...
    interestingly enough, for ALMOST every commission I've done, they never ask for the original inks/pencils, so I have a HUGE "markive" of original art.
    Oh- totally. Never ever give up your original art. They're paying for the poster, not the originals.
    Yes. That is me wearing a Borat thong in my avatar.

My Portfolio site-
    www.mrdoyle.com
    My Retail site
    www.nakatomiinc.com

Comments

Do you have the posters printed yourself and then send them off or do you just send them a template digitally and let them take care of the printing?

Comments

I personally handle my printing all the time...either myself or with a trusted printer if the job is too big/I'm too busy. Quality control goes a long way when its representing your art and business my friend.